Cassette tape to CD

Graham. 11:58 08 Aug 2006

A different way. The only tape player I have these days is in a car radio, not fitted in a car, I hasten to add.

I connect the left and right speaker outputs to a hard drive DVD recorder, and record a tape to the hard drive. Then I copy to a rewritable DVD and finalize.

Then on the computer I have a .ifo file. I can convert this with a demo version of AVS Converter, which gives me mp3 audio.

I now need to extract this audio before burning to CD, so suggestions, please.

rodriguez 12:30 08 Aug 2006

MP3 audio can be burnt straight to CD anyway - just copy the MP3 files over to a new Audio CD project in Nero or other burning software.

Diemmess 12:43 08 Aug 2006

Have you tried the freebie Audacity?
With this you can do minor editing and export as MP3 or WAV. This would cut out using a DVD disk at all. You could then burn as Audio to a CD.

Pamy 12:43 08 Aug 2006

but can Graham play MP3 on the equipment he wants to play it on?

Graham. 12:46 08 Aug 2006

I need a DVD to get it off the recorder. And the CD needs to play on a normal CD player.

Graham. 12:59 08 Aug 2006

Seems I already have Audacity! I've imported the MP3, what do I need to export as?

Diemmess 13:18 08 Aug 2006

Try wav, it works for me.

Diemmess 13:24 08 Aug 2006

P.S. my version of Audacity can be a bit silly if I don't pause and "Save Project" fairly often.
It seems to have trouble handling too many edits without saving. Otherwise it is fine and is free.

Graham. 13:25 08 Aug 2006

I must be doing something wrong. If I drag and drop the .avi files, which I presume contain the MP3 files, into Audacity, it imports the MP3 files. But they are at the wrong speed, too fast.

Diemmess 13:41 08 Aug 2006

"A different way"
I meant use Audacity from the beginning as a recorder.
Leave the DVD or CD burner out of things for this stage.
Audacity will record the music you want in its own format.
You can play back on your PC at any stage.
When the recording is complete, export it to a folder on your HD.
You can edit it if necessary saving as you go.
When you have enough files (wav) on that folder you can then use your CD burning software to make a pukka audio CD.

Graham. 13:45 08 Aug 2006

Thanks, but how can I get the tape contents onto Audacity? I only have speaker outputs, left and right.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone