Cases

staples printer cartridge 12:07 12 Feb 2006

I'm not upgrsading or anything, just interested. A lot has been said about picking components carefully but does anyone have any opinions on your case. Does a very expensive well built case make much difference etc.

Longhouse 12:14 12 Feb 2006

I've generally used cheaper cases for all my PC builds but for the most recent, spent a few more pounds - my son wanted a case with side window & lights on the front. As a consequence we bought a better quality case.

Much easier to work with - no sharp edges, easier installation of HDD, quieter - it can have its benefits.

Difference in cost was typically £20 - £25 for a cheap case vs £40 - £50 for the more expensive one. Don't know about spending more though!

Longhouse

Totally-braindead 12:29 12 Feb 2006

I've had both, have to agree with Longhouse the only difference as far as I am concerned is the cheap cases have sharp edges inside, the more expensive ones tend to be quieter. The cheaper cases also come with power supplies usually whereas the dearer ones don't. The cheaper power supplies are ok but you're better getting a decent one and replacing the one supplied.
I'm using a cheap Novatech case, its fine, only thing I did so was replace the power supply with a Tagan make one.

spuds 13:00 12 Feb 2006

I generally use cheap one's from Ebuyer, complete with psu's, which are usually of a good build quality. But must agree, that sharp corners can have disadvantages.

staples printer cartridge 13:20 12 Feb 2006

what about heat dissipation and cable organisation?

Diemmess 13:33 12 Feb 2006

Heat dissipation may be better on the "better" case but only by including a case fan.

Cable organisation - virtually no difference.
Is constrained by standard motherboard and "peripherals" dimensions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?