Carriage surcharges

phono 22:35 26 Jan 2005

Do any of you learned people know of a good PC parts supplier that does not charge an obscene carriage surcharge to supply parts to Northern Ireland?

For example, I checked DABS and Novatech's carriage charges and they have surcharges of £11.75 and £15 respectively for Northern Ireland orders.

I could stomach this for a large order, but when it comes to an item costing around £10 to £15 it does not make sense to me, especially when, and I have personal experience of this, an item is sent in a Jiffy bag with 60p postage on it, I hasten to add that it was not DABS or Novatech that were responsible for that particular transaction.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:45 26 Jan 2005

click here and click here ' with the exception of Royal Mail, all our other carriers impose a surcharge on top of their standard mainland UK delivery charge for parcels being delivered to Northern Ireland'. You could always try PCWorld if there is one near you as many carriers charge a surcharge.

G

phono 23:49 26 Jan 2005

Thanks for the links Gandalf, unfortunately they wont help me much at this moment in time. It is extremely galling to buy something over the Internet and pay as much, or more, for the carriage as the item itself costs.

My nearest, in fact only, PC World is approximately 75 miles away so hardly justifies a trip there, even then their prices aren't the keenest.

I fully understand the economics behind delivery charges but in one case I purchased a stick of SDRAM from a supplier and was immediately hit with a £15 surcharge, as it was still £10 cheaper than the next supplier I reluctantly went ahead with the purchase.

The RAM duly arrived and was dead on arrival, I posted it back and from memory it cost less than £2.00 total. How the hell did they justify £15?

Belatucadrus 01:25 27 Jan 2005

click here PCWorld Component Centre service Northern Ireland, the terms and conditions page seems to show somewhat high delivery charges, but with no NI / UK mainland differential.

georgemac © 08:04 27 Jan 2005

ask the suppliers if they will consider using royal mail to send the goods, probably more hope with a smaller firm

click here try this firm - I have not used them for years - forgot about them actually until a work colleague from the South fo Scotland told me he uses them a lot.

phono 17:17 27 Jan 2005

Thanks all for the supplied links. I will investigate further.

As regards PC World I did note the following:

A limited premium delivery service also operates within a number of other postcodes.

Now, I wonder if that includes BT postcodes?

Regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?