career change - not pc related

pookie 13:31 02 Jan 2006

hi guys

thinking of working from home/for myself. i'm 35 and been working in event management for 5 years. i will not be able to do this from home. in a perfect world i'd open a pc shop selling parts and doing upgrades but there are a lot of knowledgable pc owners now who buy online and install themselves so this is not an option really. neighbour gave up working last year to sell catalgue goods door to door and he is doing well on commission and has no regrets.

have any of you made the jump to work from home. have you any ideas/experiences/heard of others and what did they do. also thinking of child minding as my kids are now full time at school.

salary wise £1200 per month ideally - which looking at some work from home schemes is not unrealistic.

cheers guys

P

pookie 14:08 02 Jan 2006

bump :-)

Mark5001 14:25 02 Jan 2006

There are also a lot of people out there who wouldn't know a PSU from RAM. There is always a niche for people who know what is what in computing. I gave up work as a drainage engineer (20 Years busting Poo) some 5 years ago and became a carer for my elderly parents.Then recently i got into transfer of home movies to DVD and fitting of components/building full spec PC's for clients who contact me through a small ad in the local rag. Brings me in around £250.00 extra per week. I do still some drain work to supplement me when I want some new PC parts.

spuds 14:33 02 Jan 2006

Working from home can bring sheer delight or disaster. Looking at earning £1200 per month, as described being easy in a lot of home scheme ideas, can be very appetizing until the £1200 dream doesn't appear.So look at most of these get rich overnight schemes, with extreme caution.

Remember, whatever you attempt, you could be liable for all the added extras of going it alone, like insurance,tax and added responsibilities.Even selling computer parts, or upgrading machines may class you as a trader, with success or failure in the horizon.

Is there not an advisory organization in your area, that can offer support!.

wiz-king 14:52 02 Jan 2006

Don't forget that working from your home means that you have to tell the local council so that the room you use can be taxes for business rate, there may be covenants on you property that do not allow certain businesses to be run from your it- usual one is an alehouse! Also you would need to check with your insurance company, you may find that you don't have any if you are running a business from your home. If your home is subject to a mortgage then that is another person to tell, if the business has members of the public visiting your house that brings in yet more problems of parking or access - don't forget the neighbours might object.
You have lots of things to think of that may have a part to play in your decision.

pookie 17:22 02 Jan 2006

thanks guys. forgot to say that current job has no pension contributions or health cover and is 1 month notice from me or employer. if child minding local rates would be 2.5 children to match current salary

p

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:08 02 Jan 2006

You must be mad :0) enjoy the peace and quiet while the kids are at school.

Seriously it is not good enough to be an experienced mother / father you need qualifications for the job, i.e. First aid, child care and developement.

Your premises where the caring is to be done will have to be vetted by the local council you may need to fit all sorts of safety devices to prevent the little darlings from hurting themselves, liability insurance?

There's nothing worse than somebody elses children.

jessie .x..x.x 22:46 02 Jan 2006

Hi,

All my friends have computers but all my friends are hopeless at upgrades/repairs etc !!

I am forever being asked to repair or ` sort out` a friends pc. The problem is though that even though this friend is willing to pay a Plumber £120 to fit a gas fire ( 1 hour ) they just like to give me £20 even though i have spent hours formatting pc and installing all required drivers !!!

Why not pop a simple ad in local paper ??

eg,

Computer problems ??
Upgrade memory/ fit new drives ??
Dont want to pay High St prices ( £60+ per hr ) ?
Free expert advice given.
Local and honest pc repairer.
Home visits.
Give me a call, what do you have to loose ?
May be a simple fix, just 30 minutes.( £20 )
Prices from £20.

See how it goes. I know that myself would be ever so busy

hope all goes well

jes x

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires