Card readers not being recognised!

j3nks 22:25 14 Jan 2006

My card reader which was working fine is no longer recognised by my PC when plugging in to the USB plugs. It makes the normal sound then sometimes I get the add new hardware wizard which cannot find any suitable drivers so says the device is not installed or usable.

My PC is running XP service pack 2 and completely up-to-date with updates. I have tried using the USB sockets directly on the motherboard and the additional front mounted ones to no effect. Even tried a 7 in 1 card reader that connects directly to the motherboard USB header but no luck with that either.

I have tried adding the hardware both manually and automatically but it cannot find the correct drivers.

Added to that I have downloaded the installation program and that will not run.

It is looking like a windows or USB driver issue to me but any help or advice would be gratefully received

Skyver 22:37 14 Jan 2006

Have you looked in Device Manager, under USB Controllers for Unknown devices? (Startmenu/run, type `devmgmt.msc`) Delete them, reboot and try again.

Lettervanman 10:54 15 Jan 2006

click here

Also check out the advice in this months mag.on USB problems.

j3nks 16:11 16 Jan 2006

Now having internet problems so this is the first chance I have had to look, (internet not connected to this problem)
I think it is more a USB or Windows problem as it recognises the device as a 8 in 2 (it is actualy Matsui floppy and 7 in 1 card reader) but cannot find the drivers so cannot install it. As I understand it Windows should identify a card reader with no additional software being neaded. It should also do the same with an external card reader but it no loger recognises that.
Strangley it still works with my USB memory stick which is basicaly the same thing as a memory card!

j3nks 14:45 21 Jan 2006

Just checked the BIOS and it is identifying I have the device connected and it is picking up the memory card types supported but when booting it cannot find the drivers.
As it should be plug and play with XP do I need to replace/update the USB drivers or do I need the device drivers but as it is doing the same with another external reader it strikes me as being more a windows driver issue.
How can I update replace these and where can I get them.

Any advice would be greatly received

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017