Card reader problem

absent 17:29 14 Dec 2004

Win XP,USB 2 hama 8 in 1 card reader. I had not used it for some time but it used to work fine, went to download some pics today using adobe elements without success. I get a message telling me the device is not connected or busy, I suspect it may be busy as when I insert a CF card the access light on the reader lights and stays on. The drivers are supplied by Windows and device manager does not show a problem.

BRYNIT 18:03 14 Dec 2004

Sometimes when something has not been used for a while it may have problems communicating with computer. Try unplugging card reader reboot and then reconnect reader to see if windows can find card reader

absent 18:31 14 Dec 2004

Thanks BRYNIT, tried your suggestion but did not do the trick.

absent 23:26 14 Dec 2004

anyone

Muckle 23:31 14 Dec 2004

Does or did it use any special software/drivers or just recognised by Win XP?

woodchip 23:37 14 Dec 2004

If you can see it in Device Manager,Uninstall it reboot and then reconnect the reader

spuds 23:38 14 Dec 2004

I use a PNY card reader, which originally caused occassional problems. PNY was consulted and they adviced that I used a self powered usb hub due to power requirement,took their advice and problem was solved.

absent 09:37 15 Dec 2004

Thank you all for replying, I am now slightly embarrassed to let you know it was corruption on that particular CF card. A fast reply from hama support suggested this, so I tried a spare card and all was fine. Reformatted the faulty one and that is now also working.

Salinger 11:15 15 Dec 2004

Even if you feel embarrassed, it is always good to find out the reasons behind a particular problem. It can help others in the future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?