Card Reader not auto anymore on W7 Desktop & LaptopW7

platters 12:30 24 May 2015

My photo card reader will not open up anymore on auto either on my Desktop and Laptop both with W7. Both used to work fine. I thought it was my old card reader going u/s so bought a Belkin but have the same problem. I can access the photos through DCIM but that's a pain to go that route. I tried the Auto Select but what ever I tried did not work so I reset back to default. I always used Windows to open the pics from the card and downloaded to My Pictures. It just seems that Windows will not recognise any card reader anymore. I changed the anti virus from Kaspersky to Bitdefender and that done nothing. Any help will be great.

rdave13 14:38 24 May 2015

You can try this, in Control panel, auto play, under removable drive select 'open folder to view files (windows explorer) and the same if you have camera storage, memory card in the list. At the top tick the box for Use AutoPlay for all media and devices and click on the save tab. If the box is already ticked then un-tick it and save. Close Control panel then reopen and go to auto play again. Tick the box again and save. See if that works.

platters 11:18 25 May 2015

Hi rdave13.Thanks for replying. Tried what you suggested but it did not work. At a loss now what to do next. It just ignored the card reader and took me to DCIM again. Just strange that it's both my desktop and laptop suffering from the same condition. I'm wondering if it's a update from Microsoft that's causing the problem?.

hssutton 16:36 25 May 2015

"At a loss now what to do next. It just ignored the card reader and took me to DCIM again."

As DCIM is on your memory card the reader obviously was not ignored

If Auto Play does not work how did you get to DCIM? Normally to get to DCIM when inserting a card you would have "Open folder to view files using Windows Exe. selected. As I have several programs that I may use to view my photos, I have "Take No Action" selected, this brings a up a panel showing all the programs that can edit photos. I then select the program I require. However if specific program is unable to edit photos it will not be listed.

Windows and My Pictures cannot edit photos, so obviously they will not be listed. If you download Microsoft Photo Gallery this would solve your problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?