Card reader needs a Header on MotherBoard

Sparkly 09:18 22 Sep 2010

Hi all just put in a new mobo to replace dead one previous thread
click here

I have it all connected but there is a card reader with a 10 pin female connector block that was on a usb header as these are all used up is it safe to attach it to one of the two 1394 headers that are free? The board is
Gigabyte GA-81945GMH-RH
Thanks in advance

keef66 10:20 22 Sep 2010

I wouldn't have thought you can attach a usb connector to a firewire header.

What do you have attached to the usb headers?

woodchip 11:36 22 Sep 2010

If You have front USB remove the Plug for this and use the Card Reader on it, You can get Card Readers from Maplins fit a 5.5" bay that as USB sockets along with USB and other Like a firewire Port

retep888™ 11:49 22 Sep 2010

unless you want to fit another new motherboard. :-)

This is something you'll need click here which will fit into one of the USB ports at the back while the 4 pins into the female header of the card reader.(Please observe the cable colour code)

Please note if there are 8 wires on the card reader female header then you'll need 2 of the adapters.

Sparkly 17:30 22 Sep 2010

Sorry guys been out all day
keef66,woodchip,retep888™
Just noticed that the cable from the front panel that i had put onto the USB header was not a USB port but a 1394 and a Green audio connecter and a Pink mic connecter so i have moved this cable to the 1394 header ant the audio cables are allready on the Front Audio header, so that frees up the USB header for the card reader, my mistake should of looked more closely in the first instant, hopefully this will all work when the Ram arrives. Apprieciate any thoughts as to i have this worked out or not and thanks for your replys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017