card reader install help

patso 21:56 24 Jun 2007

can anyone help,i am after installing a card reader but in my computer there is four drives installed called H I J and K with the J drive picking up the sd card,i went to add remove but cant find the drive anywhere,thinking i might have to do a sys restore any ideas please how to just leave the J drive abd delete the others thanks.

skidzy 21:59 24 Jun 2007

If you have added hardware,look in device manager Patso.

The different drive letters may be assigned to different cards if used in the reader.

I take it you have bought a multi card reader.

ArrGee 22:01 24 Jun 2007

Have you tried inserting a card and seeing if the PC acknowledges it?

woodchip 22:02 24 Jun 2007

You should not delete any drives, if you know what drives was there before, at Card reader will only add the Removable drives. Mine all have Removable Disc with Drive letter

brundle 22:02 24 Jun 2007

Install TweakUI ; click here

Under My Computer, select Drives - untick the drive letters you don't want to see.

patso 22:04 24 Jun 2007

yes skidzy its a multi reader how do i remove the other drives or is there a different one for each card thanks

brundle 22:07 24 Jun 2007

There will be a different letter for each slot

skidzy 22:07 24 Jun 2007

Brundles advice looks the best bet,just hide the drives for now,though if you use a different card you may need these drives.

If only an sd card is likely to be used,Brundles advice should be fine.

patso 22:13 24 Jun 2007

ok went to device manager under disk drives get these-Ext hard disk-Generis Ms pro usb device-Generic sd/mmc devi/ce -genericSM/xd picture usb device?i know the sd one cant understand how the other three removable disks were installed.i have yweak ui and done what you said brundle,this seems to have done the trick,j drive opens in my computer and i can view the details on the card,thanks again

patso 14:31 26 Jun 2007

just an update on the prob.what an idiot i am,i have just read the instructions on the card reader packaging and it says it will install four drives .one for each card,so this explains it all,thanks to all who replied and sorry for asking stupid questions without doing the basic things first,Patso

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?