in-car usb powered laptop

loquito 17:50 27 May 2007

I would like to know if it is possible to power a laptop (any) by using a standard USB port and by doing this preventing the use of the normal connection that connects directly to the main.

I would like to power my laptop using the cigarette lighter in my car directly by by-passing the normal mains connection and use one of the 4 standard USB ports in my laptop.

The problem occurs when trying to order an in-car laptop adapter the connector can have several OD and ID diameters and usually it depends on the brand of the laptop and model (e.g. Sony is different than Acer laptops). I think that powering the laptop directly from an in-car cigarette lighter to a USB standard port in the laptop can eliminate the problem of the versatility of connectors in all the laptop brands and models.

For example there are on the market cigarette lighter devices powering PSP by using a standard USB connection.

I wonder if somebody may give some hints on this.

Gongoozler 17:56 27 May 2007

I'm sure (but I could be wrong) that you can't power the laptop via the USB port. The port is designed to output power at a few milliamps, whereas the power connector is designed to input power at several amps. Maplin supply a number of in car power supplies with adaptors for different power sockets e.g. click here

Stuartli 17:59 27 May 2007

USB ports provide a 500mAp power supply for devices - they are not an input socket.

You are obviously on the right lines in wanting a 12V DC cigar lighter adapter to the laptop's standard battery charger/mains socket.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:07 27 May 2007

Cannot use USB (output only)
You have to power by power socket

Maplins click here

wjrt 18:13 27 May 2007

click here

use your normal power line from this

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017