Car Computer

Concho11 11:40 04 Jan 2014

Hi - I am looking to build a car but I'm thinking of ways I can cheat and make it cheaper and professional looking, I am looking for opinions and advice:

I am thinking of buying an existing double din unit which is already made with the correct fascias to fit my car, but the unit isn't very good, I only want if for the screen (resolution 800*480 and fits perfectly into my dashboard).

My idea is instead of building a from scratch I will buy a small , or netbook which will be pretty cheap now, and add to it, and plug it into the dash screen and keep the laptop/netbook in the glove box.

First off, would this be a decent idea? I am happy to keep it plugged in to a charge constantly.

I would add to the netbook, a module, radio & DAB capability, perhaps boot up to , and add Wifi & 3G connectivity.

I think I could do all that for a couple of hundred pounds, and I think it would be cheaper and more flexible than adding a proper 'carputer' with proper power supplies etc.

So what do you think? Good idea or better going with a proper build of a carputer? Is there anything else I would need to consider? If I buy a cheap netbook is it possible to upgrade the RAM/CPU/HDD etc? Or I will look for a decent on ebay maybe where someone has broken the screen and is selling cheap.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?