car boot computer

ΆØL HåŁęŖ 13:14 22 May 2003

hi all i just bought a computer from a car boot sale and i have found a picture of a naked women on it! is there any way of checking to see if there is any other inappropriate material on it without looking through it all, i mean even after something is deleted it is still there isnt it? i dont want to get into trouble for having anything on it i shouldnt have. i dont really want to reformat it but i want to 'clean' it so to speak

MartinT-B 13:23 22 May 2003

Re-format

It might have a virus

It might have something a hell of a lot worse than a naked woman.

God forbid there's a pic of a child on it, but if so, the police will shoot first and ask questions later.

Believe me.

Definately reformat and reload the O/S.

recap 13:29 22 May 2003

Do a search (Start/Find) for any jpegs, giff, bitmap, png, and tif, place an * before each and this will look for anything within that file format.

graham√ 13:32 22 May 2003

I would bin the hard drive and fit a new one.

ΆØL HåŁęŖ 13:35 22 May 2003

thank you very much i will bin the hdd and get a new one today. just to be safe

kingkenny 13:37 22 May 2003

a computer is the very last thing that I would buy at a Car boot sale!

What kind of documentation/disks etc did you get with it?

was it the whole package or just the CPU?

I would have to say a complete reformat would be the thing to do. nevermind searches just start over with a clean HDD.

reformatting wont actually wipe out the data but it will make everything very hard to find, i suggest using a program like norton wipe info or sure delete which overwrite rubbish on the entire drive then refomat after that. i wouldnt be afraid of second hand computers just make sure they are cheap.

ΆØL HåŁęŖ 19:45 22 May 2003

it was only 100 pound so i didnt mind buying it, i did however buy a second hard disk today so i will have ago at fitting it if i have any problems i will post here!!

spuds 00:20 23 May 2003

Paying £100 for a computer at a car boot sale, very risky. Nothing like a shock,as to an early morning call!!.

I would always ask for a receipt with name and address, plus vehicle reg number.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?