Cant watch a downloaded film

frenchman96 14:39 27 Feb 2010

I have downloaded a film which has a file extension
Xvid-Dash 5396898.TPB but cannot play it.

I have downloaded AVS Video Converter 6 and K-Lite Codec pack but still no good.

I have XP Home and WMP11

Any advice please

MAJ 14:44 27 Feb 2010

If you're certain it's a video, try renaming the extension to .xvid. Take a copy of the file first and test it on the copy.

EARLR 14:46 27 Feb 2010

vlc media player. I haven't found anything it wont play and its free.

good luck.

frenchman96 15:19 27 Feb 2010

Maj, its a movie I think ??

EARLR, when I c/o your link, it says nothing about VLC, just Mind Management

EARLR 15:23 27 Feb 2010

Just type vlc.

GaT7 15:28 27 Feb 2010

EARLR didn't provide a link to click on.

Like he says, it's the first thing that comes up in a Google search click here. G

frenchman96 15:39 27 Feb 2010

Sorry guys, I have now downloaded VLC but when I do an "open with" /VLC, that file extension with movie is not an option.

If I open VLC/browse/its not an option??

MAJ 15:51 27 Feb 2010

Did you try changing the extension?

frenchman96 15:58 27 Feb 2010

Maj

If you mean by doing "backspace" until I just leave xvid, yes to no avail.

GaT7 15:59 27 Feb 2010

I may be wrong, but I don't think the file you downloaded has a valid extension. Not a video extension I've come across.

Along the same lines as MAJ's suggestion, try renaming the file so it has an .avi extension. You may need to change settings in Folder Options to do it the right way: on the View tab, deselect 'Hide extensions for known file types' & save changes. Then rename the file with .avi at the end. If no joy, then try the .xvid extension as MAJ suggests.

If the above is no help, where did you download it from? (Please don't post names/links if it is an adult site - this is family site, so haope you understand). The site you got it from should provide info about what to use to view it. G

GaT7 16:11 27 Feb 2010

Apparently the tpb file extension is a 'Downloadable PCL Soft font file backup' belonging to a shareware software program HiJaak, which is 'an image manager, graphics converter and screen capture computer program'. G

P.S. Please do not post links to any 'dodgy' sites either

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?