can't view attachment files in outlook

linguina 13:25 02 Sep 2003

I'm on win 98 and recently I've been experiencing a problem within outlook express. Basically I cannot view any files that I receive.
What happen is this: pressing the pin on the right hand corner of the window I should be able to select the files and save them on my HD but they look grey and it doesn't allow me to save them.

Also i get the msg: OS removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail. I get this msg even if it is a simple picture sent to me from the safest source!!!

Please help,
chr

mammak 13:38 02 Sep 2003

linguina snap i have been trying to send a file via outlook that i know is ok from win 98se
to my xp no luck, i think it,s got to do with this, sobig virus it is an attachment, so mail isnt going through.

dave h 13:44 02 Sep 2003

I think you'll find that there is a setting in Outlook express which is doing this. Even though I had AVG installed, my new installation of OE stopped me reading attachments until I changed the setting in OE.

I can't remember the setting off hand, bt I'll try to locate it.

dave h 13:50 02 Sep 2003

Founsd ti ... In Outlook express, go to Tools > Options>Security, where you will find a box labelled..Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus... Uncheck the box, and you should be able to open the attaqchments.

PS Make sure your Virus checker is up to date BEFORE you do this.

dave h 13:50 02 Sep 2003

Found it... In Outlook express, go to Tools > Options>Security, where you will find a box labelled..Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus... Uncheck the box, and you should be able to open the attaqchments.

PS Make sure your Virus checker is up to date BEFORE you do this.

linguina 14:04 02 Sep 2003

Cheers Dave,
that's what I was looking for.
Thanx a lot

chr

dave h 14:09 02 Sep 2003

linguina - Is your virus Checker up to date??/

(I worry sometimes)....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie