Can't upgrade ATI Catalyst driver

Mavericke 21:09 30 Jan 2006

Hi,I do have a Gateway MX8554b notebook and I am using Gateway's ATI reference driver for the graphic card. The trouble is that I've tried downloading the latest Catalyst driver from ati.com and after downloading the file I tried to install it. The software would not allow me to install the new driver as it states:'Can't install driver. Please ensure that you set your graphic card to standard graphics before proceeding.'
Any ideas? Thanks!

ade.h 22:47 30 Jan 2006

With laptops, it is generally advised that you should source driver updates - when available - from your laptop manufacturer. Thus, you always have drivers that have been optimised and certified for use on your laptop. If there is no such update available, don't bother updating it.

Mavericke 23:21 30 Jan 2006

Thanks!I will just leave it alone then.

DamianScott 00:08 01 Feb 2006

Good advice ade.h,

Laptop display drivers are a bit more bespoke than those for desktop PC's, so go to Gateway's support site and download the specific driver from there.

Before you do, I'd suggest that you only upgrade if you're having driver related display problems. Upgrading drivers on any graphics card, will not make your games run 300% faster (if that's the reason you're looking to upgrade). Stick with what works.

Damian

Looking for computer spares? click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?