Can't update windows

Axii9 16:22 18 Oct 2004

Hi

I can't update windows. The are telling me that it is probably my firewall. I have tried what they suggest, ie adding their website addresses to the exceptions list -but there doesn't seem to be any such list.

WinXp; SP2; Sygate; Ad-Aware; Norton

Diodorus Siculus 16:32 18 Oct 2004

Have you tried to clear out the cache?

Allow internet explorer full access for the period of updating?

ianeon 16:58 18 Oct 2004

I had the same problem - It was only solved by a reinstall of XP - If your update address is this
"click here" then you are at the correct site - When I tried to update Windows it took me to a slightly different site - The address did not have the "-us" at the end of it and I couldn't update anything. - Hope this has been of some help

iambeavis 20:01 18 Oct 2004

I had the same problem - I now disable Sygate and enable the windows firewall for the duration of the update - no more problems with it.

Axii9 15:04 24 Oct 2004

Have tried disabling sygate and updating. Still won't update.

Could it be the windows firewall or something else?

ta.

Also, how do I clear out the cache? And how does this benefit?

Diodorus Siculus 15:21 24 Oct 2004

"how do I clear out the cache?" - empty all the temp internet files

How does it help? Makes IE go to the page for the site rather than access it locally.

Axii9 19:51 24 Oct 2004

Tried the above. Didn't work.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Diodorus Siculus 19:56 24 Oct 2004

click here
Repair IE maybe

Axii9 21:43 28 Oct 2004

Tried the suggestions. The first one didn't work. The second asked me to put in the SP2 disc but when I did it just didn't move on from that point.

Axii9 22:19 29 Oct 2004

hmmm..

NickyK 01:16 30 Oct 2004

You say that you cannot up-date windows. I have encountered similar problems with the request to close my Firewall. What (or which - or all) up-date are you trying to install?

I have encountered a few very minor problems once I installed SP2. Are these what you are referring to?

If it is an SP2 problem, see the previous issues of this mag, or ask the esperts here - of course.

I had only two problems with SP2 (I run XP and AOL 9). I had to click off two in "Network connections").

I hope that this is a little bit if help.

This site will, and usually doies, provide most questions to any answers. I suggest yountry search, if you haven't already done so. There is an outside chance that somene has already touched on this subject. But, for God's sake, don't be likeme: too shy to ask.

N

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?