Cant update to service pack 3

misters 18:18 25 May 2008

Hi i tried to update my win/xp to sevice pack 3 via microsoft but each time it was updating and it tried to update the register keys i got a pop up box saying access denied, has anyone else had this problem and if so can you help me to resolve it?
Thanx in advance

Eargasm 18:25 25 May 2008
  cocteau48 18:49 25 May 2008

From Eargasm's link

Method 3 - Reset the Registry and File Permissions

it's not as complicated as it looks - and it works!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:05 25 May 2008

Its probably due to some antispyware or AV that is stopping SP3 from making the required changes.

I had to disable my Superantispyware and othe programs - make the registry changes then do the install from the windows update site.

Ditch999 19:11 25 May 2008

If you cant update you could consider yourself lucky! A narrow escape! I have XP and I am not prepared to risk it just yet.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:48 25 May 2008

Yellow? or scaremongering?

:0)

Sp3 makes the machine more secure runs and shuts down slightly faster.

Ditch999 20:10 25 May 2008

When this very website posts news articles about the latest problems with SP3 click here I dont need to scaremonger!
Then there is Microsoft themselves click here who can scaremonger with the best of them (never did like red writing) or click here for a MS blog about warnings re IE8 and the various other websites like computershopper.co.uk. Just go there and type in XP SP3 in the "Search for" box and select all IT sites to see what it throws up in the News section.
I dont believe in installing something if I know it is flawed and could cause more problems than it solves.

I prefer the word cautious to describe myself!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?