can't update AVG and can't delete it either

palinka 18:52 06 Mar 2005

friend has just brought her laptop to me with this problem, when she tries to open AVG she gets a message headed "avgwb.dat - unable to locate component". It says AvgTest.dll was not found and advises re-installing. But I find it won't let me uninstall the existing copy: using Add/remove programs results in a message "Installation failed"; and it's the same message if I try Start>programs>AVG> uninstall.
Any advice welcomed.

Jak_1 18:58 06 Mar 2005

delete by hand then use a registry cleaner to remove the remnants from the registry. Then install AVG7

palinka 19:26 06 Mar 2005

thanks Jak_1. I've got rid of everything except avgse.dll and avgupsvc. Can anyone recommend a registry cleaner, please.

VoG II 19:28 06 Mar 2005

Regseeker click here

RegscrubXP click here

palinka 19:35 06 Mar 2005

thanks very much, VoG™. Any warnings about usage?

VoG II 19:40 06 Mar 2005

I prefer RegscrubXP. I have had strange things happen after using Regseeker but can't be definite that Regseeker was the cause.

palinka 20:12 06 Mar 2005

thanks again VoG™. I'll try them both and see which I can get on with best.

Chezdez 20:34 06 Mar 2005

why not just reinstall it over the top of the current version?

palinka 21:57 06 Mar 2005

Chezdez, experience in the past suggested that was not a good idea.
OK folks, I've used regseeker and succeeded in removing previous installation. But now I can't complete new installation - get error message "Action failed for file avgamsvr.exe: creating service... The specified service already exists. [1073]". Help!!!

VoG II 22:00 06 Mar 2005

I don't know the answer palinka but I suggest that you start a new thread with a link to this one. Ticked threads attract little attention.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?