Cant update anything from windows or microsoft

misters 21:15 26 May 2008

Hi i was wondering if anyone can help lately i tried to update win/xp to service pack 3 but i nvr managed it getting half way through then i got a pop up telling me\access denied when it tried o update the registry but ever since then ie 7 hasnt wrked properly so i rolled bk to ie 6 then tried reinstalling ie 7 but its just not happening so now im trying to just update anything on windows update nothing installs can anyone offer a solution to this.
Thank god for firefox.
Thanx in advance

brundle 21:24 26 May 2008

WINDOWS UPDATE PROBLEMS - Both created after XP SP2, use at your own risk on SP3 systems.
For update problems try WURT first click here, if no luck try Dial-A-Fix click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:14 26 May 2008

1. Make a backup of your registry.

2. Download and install subinacl.exe.
click here

3. Create a file called reset.cmd with Notepad. Copy the text below into the file reset.cmd and run reset.cmd with administrative rights (it may take a LONG time):

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

4. Reboot at SAFE MODE and try install SP3 again.

misters 11:35 27 May 2008

I have tried everthing above but nothing has wrked and now i cant even update or install anything to do with windows including messanger i tried an uninstal of ie 7 and rolled bk to ie 6 but it still hasnt helped now i cand even instal ie 7 again any more suggestions?
Thanx in advance

cocteau48 12:02 27 May 2008

Is there any chance you have a system restore point to get you back to before you started the SP3 install.
If you can roll the system back then uninstall IE7 before you you try SP3 again. You cannot roll back IE7 to IE6 if you install SP3 "over" IE7.
Explanation here:
click here
Also make sure you have the very latest version of IE7 from the MS site.
click here

brundle 12:52 27 May 2008

Does it mention problems with the `installer`?
Try this click here;en-us;290301

Check what version of Windows Installer is er..installed. There's a new version with SP3, you might need to remove it and go back to version 3.1;
click here

brundle 12:53 27 May 2008

Working version of the first link; click here

misters 20:21 27 May 2008

Tried everthing that has been posted and still no joy, can i just say that i havent got SP3 on my pc the installation didnt wrk but after i tried ie 7 didnt work properly either so i uninstalled ie 7 and i'm now using ie 6 but i still cant update anything frm microsoft updates.
When i try to up date it goes through the whole process like checking for updates for your pc etc then i click to dload latest updates and it look as though its dloading them but nothing happens.
Please help.
Can i use firefox to try and dload updates someone suggested tht i can but i would have to write something in the target via the windows updat icon in my start menu, can anyone shine a light on this?
Thanx in advance

brundle 20:49 27 May 2008

You can't use Firefox to download updates, the auto-updates site requires IE, even if Firefox works with an IE extension it's still essentially using IE.

Try DialAFix again, it ought to get things moving...

misters 20:54 27 May 2008

How long does dial a fix normally take to finish?

cocteau48 21:00 27 May 2008

"Can i use firefox to try and dload updates someone suggested tht i can but i would have to write something in the target via the windows updat icon in my start menu, can anyone shine a light on this?"

As Marg7 posted just install the IE Tab for Firefox:
click here
When Firefox comes across a site which requires IE it will automatically detect it - the firefox icon at the bottom rh corner of firefox will change to an IE icon and the download will proceed just as though you were using IE.
I have not used IE to download a Microsoft update for months - only Firefox.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache