Can't uninstall graphics driver

iscanut 16:41 28 Nov 2007

I need to unistall current driver ( Nvidia ) in order to install new one. When I click on the driver in Install/Uninstall via the Control Panel option, nothing happens. I went into Device Driver ( via System Prpoerties)and selected the card there and clicked on Unistall device. Comes up with .." failed to unistall device. The device may be required to boot up the computer". Anyone have any suggestions at all. Running XP Home sp2.

woodchip 17:46 28 Nov 2007

Start In Safe Mode then in display Properties, go to Adapter and choose show all and change to a Generic driver. It's

Properties\Settings\Advanced\Adapter\List all models In there you can also choose Properties Uninstall Adapter

try click here select nvidia from drop down window. i have used this but only after removing with add/ remove, worth a try though.

iscanut 14:28 01 Dec 2007

No luck so far and still stuck with outdated driver. Although NVidia say to uninstall old before installing new, has anyone ever installed over an old one without any problems ?

iscanut 19:56 01 Dec 2007

..?

re- istall the drivers, at the beginning it will prompt 'folder already exists, do you want to over right' click 'yes to all' hopefully this should resolve your problem, it's what i would try anyway.

crosstrainer 22:20 01 Dec 2007

Has described, but also download the latest drivers from:

click here

Choose your card, and install, if asked to overwrite existing files...Click yes to all.

Re-boot as asked.

iscanut 10:52 02 Dec 2007

Thanks, will have a go ! I have the latest update already downloaded and ready to install.

iscanut 11:25 02 Dec 2007

Have now installed latest drivers over old. Did not ask if I wished to overwrite, just carried on with the install. Seems to be OK and Device Driver props shows all is well. Makes you wonder why the update program notes always says to uninstal old drivers first !

it sounds as if it's fine, if you get any problems or want to be sure now run the uninstaller, run drive cleaner and re-install, but if it's working fine let it be. there are some reg cleaners and optimisers that remove nvidia registry values maybe that is what happened. glad you are sorted.

woodchip 10:46 03 Dec 2007

Sometimes you can think it as over written the Driver, when in fact the old driver is still being used

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?