Can't understand this

tinacee1 05:16 19 Jan 2006

I have always left my computer on overnight after I disconnect from the internet. I have noticed over the past few days that when i switch the monitor on the screen is blank and I have to re-boot. Other times the mouse arrow indicator has frozen on screen and have to reeboot also. any suggestions about what this can be. I am not really tekkie. Thanks.

My son usually maintained myc computer for me but he has left home. Can anyone give me advice about basic maintenance to keep things running smoothly.

MichelleC 10:39 19 Jan 2006

Go to Device Manager and see if there's any yellows and reinstall drivers. Also check your power management settings; rightclick desktop/properties/screen saver/power (this is w2k)and check thro.

Gongoozler 10:42 19 Jan 2006

tinacee1, tell us more about your computer and the version of Windows.

Simsy 11:15 19 Jan 2006

the power settings...

Right click on a blank part of the desktop

Select "Properties"

Click the "Screensaver" tab

Click the "Power" button, near the bottom right.

Perhaps something in there might make sense.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

DieSse 14:31 19 Jan 2006

On some older motherboards and windows versions, there are conflicts between screen savers and power saving that can cause such lockups.

My personal view is the simplest thing is to not leave your cmputer on overnight. It wastes electricity (and therefore your money) and does nothing helpful.

Sethhaniel 14:33 19 Jan 2006

in XP - Open Windows Explorer - right click 'My Computer' - select 'Manage' - select 'Event Viewer' select 'System' and see if there are any errors notified in there.

tinacee1 00:38 20 Jan 2006

Thanks. I am going to try the stuff suggested and see if it solves my problem. I will get back with news of how I got on.

hospeng 12:40 20 Jan 2006

Why not shut down overnight and re-boot when you next use the omputer, the hardware will thank you for it.

Stuartli 13:02 20 Jan 2006

How do you think servers' hardware feel..:-)

woodchip 13:34 20 Jan 2006

Your PSU may be on the way out, check the fan at the back is clear

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017