Can't transfer photo's to flash memory

brummy123 13:00 15 Feb 2009

I have just purchased a PNY 8gb stick. My pc recognises it but when I try to transfer photo's it gives me these error messages: cannot create or replace folder; cannot find the specified files; make sure you specify the correct path and file name. I have tried changing the 'save as' name to no avail, can anyone point me in the right diretion to sort this out?

Technotiger 14:05 15 Feb 2009

Does it need to be formatted?

Terry Brown 14:36 15 Feb 2009

I assume you are trying to copy the complete folder to your USB stick.
Try creating a folder on your Stick, opening the files on your computer then either drag & drop or Copy.

The stick may have some form of protection on it, e.g. read only or password. Check any documents that come with it.

At a last resort try Formatting it or returning it to the place you bought it.
Terry

woodchip 14:38 15 Feb 2009

Try Right Click the Drive and choose New Folder, Name it. If it works you just drag files to the folder

brummy123 19:02 15 Feb 2009

I tried to format but windows xp was not able to, now the flash drive properties tells me that I have zero disc capacity, have I burnt it out? I still get the original error message when I try to copy

Technotiger 19:54 15 Feb 2009

I am forming the opinion, that perhaps the stick was faulty from the start. As Terry Brown says - return it to place of purchase, ask for a replacement.

woodchip 20:13 15 Feb 2009

Right click My Computer\Manage\Disc Management With the Stick in then check to see if you can make the removable Drive Stick Active

brummy123 10:47 16 Feb 2009

The stick comes up as healthy in Disc Management but still won't work, I think I will admit defeat and return it. Thanks for all your efforts .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?