CANT SWITCH BETWEEN ACCOUNTS!

SnowWhite_x 21:49 03 Oct 2007

I've been using task manager to log off my account & onto my daughters for quite some time as it's the only way I can switch user accounts. This has been fine until recently when I decided to use 'fast user switch' which, again was fine until I switched off my pc by accident without logging off my daughters account. Now I can't use either method to switch between accounts, the only way is to switch off my pc altogether! When I try to use the 'task manager method' there are no users showing up at all!
Thanks for any help in advance.

brundle 21:51 03 Oct 2007

Start menu/run, type services.msc, press return.

Make sure Fast User Switching is started and set to Automatic, same for Terminal Services.

SnowWhite_x 22:11 03 Oct 2007

OK, They were set at manual, so I've set them to automatic. But still have the same problem.
And still when I access task manager, there are no users showing.
Thanks in advance for your help.

brundle 22:51 03 Oct 2007

You're not using Internet Connection Sharing? Does your PC show the log-on screen, with the various accounts for you to select when you start the machine?

SnowWhite_x 22:57 03 Oct 2007

No, not using internet conection sharing, and pc shows my account and daughters, also guest account on starting.

brundle 23:06 03 Oct 2007

There seem to be many possibilities, going by a quick `google` of the problem. Drivers, old network connections, Windows Updates. Take a look at the event viewer to see if there are repeated entries; start menu/run, type eventvwr.msc

SnowWhite_x 23:34 03 Oct 2007

There's 3 repeated custom log errrors in internet explorer, Microsoft office diagnosis, microsoft office sessions.
Also 1 Application error record, also 1 security audit record and 1 system audit record.

SANTOS7 19:19 04 Oct 2007

See if Terminal Services and Fast User Switching Compatibility
> services are started on your computer. Click Start, Run, type
> "services.msc" (without the quotation marks) and click OK.
> Double-click "Terminal Services" and make sure it's started and its
> startup type is "Manual". Double-click "Fast User Switching
> Compatibility" and make sure it's started and its startup type is
> "Manual". Restart the computer and try again.

SnowWhite_x 19:36 04 Oct 2007

OK, Terminal Services is set to manual but when I click start I get this msg - 'Could not start the Terminal Services on Local Computer. Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service'. Also when i try to start the Fast User Switching Compatibility Service I get this msg - Error 1068 The dependency service or group failed to start.

brundle 21:23 04 Oct 2007

Go here click here, download and run the file, reboot, try the services again.

SnowWhite_x 21:48 04 Oct 2007

Your a genius!...It's done the trick. Thanks so much brundle.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?