can't start in safe mode

User-171FC185-ABBA-4B55-BB893621075DB90C 13:15 08 Mar 2007

Hi,

My computer has had a major trojan invasion - which after many painful hours, I think I've managed to get rid of. The problem is now - I'm trying to repair all the damage it has done and want to do two things.

Firstly I want to run a thorough Scandisk whilst in Safe Mode

and Secondly I'd like to use the maufacturer's boot disk to completly reinstall the Windows operating system

My problems are

1. It won't let me start in Safe Mode - every time I have the screen that allows me the option to either start in a Normal Way / Dos Way / Safe Mode Way and so on - the only option that I can choose is to start in the Normal Fashion. This obviously becomes an issue when Scan Disk won't work because there are too many programs working in the background.

2. My boot up disk doesn't work at all. What should happen is that I place the CD in the drive and on the next startup it preloads options to replace the Operating System and so on.

I know that this is a long message but I am at the end of my tether! Any help would be greatfully accepted.

I'm running Windows ME with 512mb Ram and 100mhz AMD Athlon Processor

Thanks in advance

Rhys

VoG II 13:17 08 Mar 2007
  rawprawn 13:19 08 Mar 2007

ou can program to run scandisk on start,simply type CHKDSK /F in run and hit Enter, the dos window will open and ask to run on start

rawprawn 13:21 08 Mar 2007

Sorry didn't read enough to realise you were running ME.

skidzy 14:04 08 Mar 2007

"2. My boot up disk doesn't work at all. What should happen is that I place the CD in the drive and on the next startup it preloads options to replace the Operating System and so on."

You may have to configure the bios to boot from cd.

One of these keys normally at startup will get you into the bios.

F1/F2/F10/F11/delete key/Escape Key/possibly a different key.

Change the bios to read cd/hdd/floppy,it will probably be reading hdd/cd/floppy.

thanks guys

woodchip 22:51 12 Mar 2007

Why cannot you just put the ME disc in and boot the computer? so you can run setup over it's self. Or do only have a Restore Disc?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone