cant share my folder on the network

freefx 21:12 23 Jan 2004

Why i can have one sub-folder and not the other(both from the same 'parent' folder) shared across the network? Both folders settings appear identical.

When try to read from another PC, msg says the folder is not accessible....something about i may not the the permission.....

Does anybody knows why this is the case?

o/s Win XP Pro

BBez 22:29 23 Jan 2004

try Administrative tools, local security policy, then disable, from the list in the right hand window, limit local account use of blank passwords to console login only".

you can disable it by double-left clicking on the policy and selecting disable, is the subfolder shared? you may need to do this to get it "visible" over the network...

if it is shared, you should try mapping a network drive to it (the folder) from the PC you're trying to view it from...

BBez 22:31 23 Jan 2004

also, right click the problem folder, and click on the security tab, under sharing & security, and check the appropriated permissions are assigned to the folder (read)

freefx 22:34 23 Jan 2004

Im sorry i dont quite understand you.

Yes the two subfolders are assigned shared.but only one is able to be accessed across the network whereas the other one has an error msg saying it is not accessible...As i mentioned earlier on the setting for both subfolders appear identical. The two subfolders are from one 'parent' folder which has shared attribute.

BBez 22:44 23 Jan 2004

i have "simple file sharing" disabled so it's like win_2000_pro sharing. Go to your shared folder, say, c:\shared, right click it, select "properties" then click on the "security" tab. then select the first option "to force the parent permissions to be inherited to all child objects...(eg. "inherit from parent...check box, radio button")

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?