Can't send faxes

Klodshans 17:22 31 Jan 2007

I can't seem to send faxes through my internal fax modem (NOT the broadband) anymore. I haven't really used it since I went to broadband for my internet connection. The Device Manager states that the device works properly. When I try to send a fax from Word (via Windows XP Fax Console), it dials up and I can hear a fax signal, but the final connection doesn't happen and in the error report is stated "Fatal error" or "Protocol Error". All filters are in place and it is not the recipient with the fault. It could be a hardware fault, but I would have expected that to show in Device Manager?

howard64 17:56 31 Jan 2007

back in the old days of using a dial up modem I seem to remember a diagnostic section in the modem properties.

howard64 17:57 31 Jan 2007

try uninstalling it from the hardware - device manager and then rebooting. It should be detected and installed and may sort itself out.

Rtus 18:04 31 Jan 2007

Im only guessing here but originally the fax(was on dialup)wasnt used with a BB filter was it ? so maybe try it as it used to be fitted leaving the BB filter out of the connecter for the attempt

Rtus 18:12 31 Jan 2007

why not just set it up from the control panel wizard ,it should use whatever hardware your now using .( control panel >printers /faxes ) the select setup faxing

Stuartli 18:32 31 Jan 2007

Since you switched to broadband you may have your IE (I'm assuming it's IE) Default connection configured as Never Dial A Connection or Always Dial My Default Connection.

Klodshans 18:52 31 Jan 2007

I've tried the diagnostics, no luck in identifying a problem. Tried it without filter, same result. Will try all suggestions in order of arrival! Thanks everyone, will let you know the outcome!

Eric10 19:28 31 Jan 2007

If you haven't connected to the Internet with your old dialup account before sending the fax then this is probably what you need to do.

Eric10 19:45 31 Jan 2007

Ignore my previous post as it's incorrect. Obviously if your line is occupied with your dialup account you won't be able to connect to the remote fax machine. It's just been too long since I sent a fax and my brain has seized up.

Diversion 00:04 01 Feb 2007

I don't think you can send a Fax when your broadband connection is active, I use Mighty Fax to send mine but I have to kill my BB connection first.

Diversion 00:24 01 Feb 2007

click here I've just read this on another link

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?