Can't send e-mail with scanned attachment.

enviro 15:37 11 Sep 2008

Hi, I have Windows XP and am using an Epson Perfection 1250 Scanner.
When I use the 'Smart Panel' and use the 'Scan to e-mail' function it only lists Outlook Express 6 as an option to send. Then when you launch the application it pops up with a dialoge box stating that Outlook is not currently the default mail client and would I like to change, I click No, as I am using BT Yahoo for e-mails.
A new message box comes up with the attachment but it does not send, well it sends but does not go anywhere.
The point is that I want to scan to e-mail and use my BT Yahoo account.
How do I do this?

hello enviro ..you should be able to just do a normal scan and save to computer..then open your bt yahoo email app etc open to write a new email and attatch the scan to the email... hope this helps kind regards akanic

enviro 16:39 11 Sep 2008

Hi @[email protected]!c,
I have done this using the 'scan to application' and saving the scanned item in Word, then sending the attachment through BT Yahoo.
But how do I get the 'Smart Panel' to recognise BT Yahoo as the default client when I use it?
Many thanks for your response.
Enviro's wife.

Clapton is God 16:42 11 Sep 2008

What exactly is BT Yahoo e-mail?

Is it a web mail service or do you use an e-mail client?

If web mail, follow @[email protected]!c's instructions.

If you use an e-mail client (Outlook Express, for example) is there a way to set that client into your scanner?

wee eddie 18:16 11 Sep 2008

Why not just place the Scan on your Desktop and then use the "Insert" Function in Yahoo to send it.

p.s. frequently the "Size", in the range of several MBs rather than 2-300kb, of scanned objects are huge and need reducing before they will be send-able.

peter99co 18:41 11 Sep 2008

I heard today in a conversation that mails in excess of 2 mbs are likely to reject. I had to put my file in a zip recently because of the problem.

peter99co 18:42 11 Sep 2008

I scan to MY Documents and right click send to email.

Simsy 22:36 11 Sep 2008

The issue is that the scanner software, when trying to send an email, is looking for an e-mail "client", (software that deals specifically with email), to forward the scanned image...

Outlook, and Outlook Express are such "clients"...

However, you are not using a "client" for your email. You are using BT Yahoo for your email, which means the actual software you are using to handle email is you internet browser, (Internet Explorer probably?)

The scanner software doesn't recognise a "browser", (such as IE), as a software "client", so suggests Oulook Express. You decline this by clicking "No", so the attachment/send doesn't happen.

Your scanner software can't send it automatically because you aren't using an email "client".

I hope that explanation helps, (and is correct!)

The solution is as suggested previously; Save the scan somewhere on your hard drive, then open your BT Yahoo account and attach the document manually.

I hope this helps,

Good Luck,

Regards,

Simsy

MCE2K5 23:18 11 Sep 2008

Setting up email accounts in Outlook Express
click here

enviro 11:16 12 Sep 2008

Many thanks for all your help, Simsy explained the problem I have and yes I can and have sent scanned items the way everyone else has suggested.
I just wanted to know if there was something to make the Application recognise Bt Yahoo.
Now I understand why and am better informed, the size issue is worth knowing too.
Thanks again,
Enviro's wife.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?