Can't see network

Marko797 14:14 21 Nov 2008

Have set up network from Desktop (XP Home) and connected Vista and XP Pro laptops. All connect thru router to web with no problems. Network is MSHOME. Eventually got the Vista laptop to print...don't ask. (Had to create a print port on the vista machine which was the same name of the host Desktop).

Problem is now that when I try and view computers in network from Desktop, I get a message that MSHOME is not accessible and that I don't have Administrative rights, or something.

There's only one account on the XP Home Desktop, and that's me (have checked and I do have admin rights), and it was I who set up the network.

Can anyone advise why I'm getting the message, and more importantly, how I fix it & become able to view computers in the network? Thnx in advance.

ambra4 01:39 22 Nov 2008

How to Network Vista and XP Computers

click here

click here

Marko797 10:30 22 Nov 2008

but none of this actually helped.

Not sure how, but I have fixed the problem. Despite not being able to 'view' computers in the network MSHOME, I could access the shared folders. Out of curiosity, & just to check access, I dbl clicked one of the shared folders and opened it. Then went back to 'view' network and this time it opened and could see all computers. Strange I know.

Happy to report that I now have a working network with all machines visible, talking to each other, can access the web, and can all use the printer.

Just don't ask me how I did it though. Ticked as resolved.

ambra4 10:34 22 Nov 2008

"Just don't ask me how I did it though"

Glad to hear problem fixed

Enjoy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017