Can't see my second SATA hard drive

Paul33 16:02 27 Dec 2009

I've just installed a second SATA hard drive - data and power cables both in place but I can't see the drive.

It doesn't appear under My Computer and it doesn't show under the Disk Management utility either. The Hitachi website says that I don't need drivers for my XP Home machine so what do I need to do here ?

I haven't done any formatting on the new drive or anything - straight out of the box and into the PC - but I don't see how I can do anything if I can't access it.

Any help appreciated.

howard64 16:32 27 Dec 2009

try rebooting then go into the bios and see if it can automatically find and install it.

Technotiger 16:34 27 Dec 2009

Is there a power light showing at all? Maybe you just need to double check all connections and make sure the drive is Switched On!

jamesd1981 16:55 27 Dec 2009

windows wont see a brand new unformatted drive it can only read ntfs file system as suggested above enter the bios and check its detected in there if it is use a bootable cd to partion and format the drive to ntfs i use parted magic it works well but any one will do easeus partion master is also good you should then be able to see the drive.

cream. 16:57 27 Dec 2009

with your motherboard.

New SATA drives are usually SATA300. Some older motherboards just support SATA150. But there s a work around.

Make and model number of drive and motherboard?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?