cant see HDD drive

Ray5776 18:06 08 Sep 2007

Hello,
I am trying to re-install my O/S but wish to do this initially to a spare HDD so that I retain all my data on the others.
I have tried 2 HDD`s on 2 different machines neither machine will see either of them, I expect that I am missing something simple here.
Tried them in caddies or direct onto cable but they appear not to exist.
One is a 160gh which is formatted and the other an 80gh with data on.

Can anyone help on this please.

Ray

Jak_1 18:12 08 Sep 2007

How have you got the drives in, as slave or master. Have you got the jumper set corectly?

Ray5776 18:44 08 Sep 2007

set as cable select on both drives.

ray

Jak_1 18:58 08 Sep 2007

From what you say, both drives are formatted. Set one as master, the 160 gig is prob the best, and then try with just that drive in the pc.

Quiller. 19:08 08 Sep 2007

Which operating system

are they IDE or SATA drives

If you just want to " I am trying to re-install my O/S but wish to do this initially to a spare HDD"

Why don't you disconnect the drive with your data on and just have the drive you wish to do the fresh install on.

PS

have you checked that the drives show in the bios or are shown in disk management.

Ray5776 19:52 08 Sep 2007

Thanks for your replies,
it is clear that I have not explained this very well, my fault will try again.

I have two spare HDD IDE drives, a 160 formatted and an 80 with data on that I do not need.

Have tried to see them on two separate P/Cs both running XP pro. Both PCs have their own C drives and I am trying to see the other drive by putting in one at a time.

I have complicated this by saying 2 PCs, this was to reinforce my point that the drives cannot be seen.

Lets now say one PC to make things simpler, I connect either of the spare drives, only one at a time and they are not seen either in BIOS or DM.

Jak, I will try the drive as master but would have thought that the existing C drive would be the master.

Thanks all

Ray

Quiller. 20:06 08 Sep 2007

Then set one as master, as per Jak_1 and the other one as slave.

If the drives still do not show then disconnect the boot drive and try and get the either of the two seperate IDE to show.

Ray5776 21:13 08 Sep 2007

I don`t seem to be doing very well here)-:
quiller, there is only ONE drive apart from the the C drive which is set as master and the one I am trying to see which is set as slave.
I dont think I have explained this posting very well,
I know what I mean but appreciate that you are not mind readers:-)

Think I will close this and repost later when I can think of a better way of explaining what I am trying to do.

Thanks to everyone.

ray

Quiller. 22:11 08 Sep 2007

" I dont think I have explained this posting very well "

It is confusing. i.e.

I have tried 2 HDD`s on 2 different machines

Have tried to see them on two separate P/Cs both running XP pro. Both PCs have their own C drives and I am trying to see the other drive by putting in one at a time.

I have complicated this by saying 2 PCs, this was to reinforce my point that the drives cannot be seen.

Lets now say one PC to make things simpler, I connect either of the spare drives, only one at a time and they are not seen either in BIOS or DM.

there is only ONE drive apart from the the C drive which is set as master and the one I am trying to see which is set as slave.

I then said

" Then set one as master, as per Jak_1 and the other one as slave. "

So you alter the jumpers on the master drive to master. Thats change the jumper settings from cable select to master. Not relying on cable select to set it as master.

Then alter the jumpers on either the 80Gb or the 160Gb to slave.

Have you tried that?

woodchip 22:16 08 Sep 2007

The drives need to be clear of all Parrtitions to set them up. this will also remove all data. You then start computer with the hard drive connected and OS CD in the computer. Bios first boot Device should be set to CD, second Hard Drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?