Can't see Hard Drive

Inside Edge 18:12 22 Jun 2007

Hi, can anyone help with an HDD problem?

I have a PC running XP SP2 with 2 HDDs. One is 120 Gb, the other 250 Gb. I installed Partition Magic a long while back and created 2 partitions in the larger HDD and stuck a Drive Image Back up in one of them. The drive seemed to default to being hidden - perhaps due to Drive Image protecting the back-up location. I've never got around to filling the rest of the drive with video as I planned so it's not been accessed in ages. I wanted to make a new backup so using PM I unhid the HDD and set off a DI backup. The backup failed without giving a clear reason. Now I can't see the HDD at all and I'm getting regular pop-up error messages from Windows stating: "Windows delayed write failed. Windows was unable to save all the data for D:\$Mft. The data has been lost. The error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save the file elsewhere". I don't know what it's trying to save here, but it keeps trying !.

Partion magic won't start at all anymore - it gives an error 100 - "Partion table is bad". I don't which table it's referring to, but presumably that associated with the errant HDD.

XP Disk Management Utility shows my C;\ Drive OK, but no sign of D:\, nor any record of encountering error.

I assume that the D:\ is corrupted, either in format or physically, but I'd like to try to reformat it ....only I can't see it anywhere.

I had some boot up peculiarities earlier this week (slow to boot, not starting all the items that normally run in the background, hanging when the screensaver kicked in). A system restore to the previous day failed, but these issues appear to be resolved anyway.

The PC otherwise functions fine - everything seems normal except the D:\drive.

Sorry this is so lengthy - does anyone have any suggestions ?

Many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:17 22 Jun 2007

FAT32 or NTFS partition?

Just wondering if a removal of c: (to be safe) and a boot from floppy and use to FDisk could wipe the partitions from D: so you could reformat and start over.

Inside Edge 19:07 22 Jun 2007

Hi, thanks for your thoughts.

Its an NTFS partition.

Can I literally disconnect the power and ribbon cables from the C:\ drive, boot from floppy, try the reformat and plug it back in afterwards seamlessly? I suppose it's just like putting a new hard drive in and formatting it before installing the operating system - wouldn't take long to try either. I was just wondering whether the MB would recognise my D:\ Drive as the boot drive after the exercise (assuming the reformat was sucessful) and go looking for the Op system there instaed of the re-connected C:\ drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:28 22 Jun 2007

Yes should work as stated
you may need to swap jumpers if IDE drive.

Can the BIOS see the drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?