Can't see any files on my floppies!

wetterfugal 21:46 07 Feb 2003

Suddenly I am unable to read the contents of my floppies on a win 98 PC though I can read them on my Win XP PC. I have re formatted a floppy on both machine and I am unable to save to the 98 PC. Disk Write Error - (Unable to write to disk in drive A:)

Though I can write to it on the XP

In explorer there is a small tag on the A Drive Icon, but it has been there for a long time without trouble. Can anyone help?

wetterfugal 21:52 07 Feb 2003

I have tried scandisk but it can't check the drive because it thinks that there is no disk in it.

Pcloe 22:01 07 Feb 2003

hi there, have you checked the setup on the bios screen making sure that A: is enabled

or maybe check the wireing to make sure that the connector has not become dislodged or damaged.

only thing that i can think of for now....

wetterfugal 22:07 07 Feb 2003

I have not checked on the BIOS but as I said above, I can format a disk in the drive OK

cream. 22:07 07 Feb 2003

wetterfugal. Unsure about this, but is your X\P system on NTFS?

If so the 98 will not be able to read it, I think!!!!!!

If X\P is on FAT32 totally ignore.

wetterfugal 22:15 07 Feb 2003

Both machines are FAT32. I think that we can forget about the XP as all is well there I brought that in to show that the disk shows the file have been written. It is the 98 that will not read them nor write them.

wetterfugal 22:19 07 Feb 2003

I find that the disk reads OK operating in safe mode.

cream. 22:22 07 Feb 2003

wetterfugal. Well thats me b**********ered. lol

Best of luck M8

anchor 09:17 08 Feb 2003

I had a similar problem some years ago on a notebook. I could not read floppy discs on the notebook, but could on my desktop. Both had Win-98.

It turned out to be a defective floppy drive in the notebook. Replacing it solved the problem.

wetterfugal 12:12 08 Feb 2003

After I rebooted to normal operation everything is back to normal, problem gone. Note I had originally re booted twice so the act of re booting did not in it's self solve it.

I now have a similar problem with a burnt CD on my XP but I will mark this problem as solved and post separately

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires