CAN'T SAVE JPEGS

muscic lover 10:12 29 Sep 2004

I am using windows Me, with a decent enough set up.
I recently bought a new Hard disk after a rather fatal crash of my older one.

My problem is:

I can't save pictures in micro$oft paint as JPEGS! I have micr$oft word and can manipulate pictures well enough for what i want, but I can not save a picture from the net as a JPEG. The save box lets me save as a BMP file only.

My friends are peeved as the BMP files take ages to download.....

Ideas on the back of a £10 note or posted here!
Thanks....

JonnyTub 10:14 29 Sep 2004

have you used to the drop down box change the format?

VoG II 10:15 29 Sep 2004
  muscic lover 10:25 29 Sep 2004

Can now save piccies from internet explorer as JPEGS......

But still unable to save anything as a JPEG when using paint...it will only allow options of various .BMP's any further ideas Vog?? or anybody else??

Old Shep 10:30 29 Sep 2004

This is a good free program to make your pics smaller for e.mailing click here I did one yesterday it was 8.41mb and after resizing it was 57.6kb with no loss of quality.

beeuuem 12:06 29 Sep 2004

Go to Start, Run, type REGEDIT, and click OK. Go to this key by clicking the + signs beside the keys (folders):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Graphics Filters\Export\JPEG.

Click on the "JPEG" key (folder) in the left pane, and you'll see a String Value in the right pane with the name "Extensions". Make sure under the "Data" column it shows only "jpg". If it shows "jpg, jpeg", double-click on the "Extensions" string and from the "Value data" field remove "jpeg" so that it only reads "jpg" (without the quotes).

sattman 20:34 29 Sep 2004

If left click will not work, have you tried right click and save "as" on the drop down box?.

muscic lover 10:59 30 Sep 2004

thanks beeuuem,

navigated beautifully to the registry and saw it was all as it should be!

However, with it all being as it should be..... I still can't save jpegs from MS Paint. Do you have any further ideas?? Sledgehammer is not really a viable option though... he he he.

Thanks though for your ideas.

Confab 12:19 30 Sep 2004
  Sethhaniel 13:57 30 Sep 2004

Best all round program that saves as JPG along with loads of other formats is IRFANVIEW ;0)

Confab 14:33 30 Sep 2004

"Maybe MS PAINT only supports BMP" - No it doesn't. See my "click here"

Confab

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?