Can't run XP recovery disk

rickd 19:23 06 Nov 2006

Today my PC crashed big time. I didn't add any software or hardware, the last things that loaded were windows update = explorer 7 and google desktop a couple of days back, but everything seemed OK after these. Anyhow, came back to the PC this afternoon after it had been left running for a few hours and it had a message to insert a cd to boot from and press any key. Instead I tried turning off and restarting, it boots to the sorry for inconvenience... screen giving options to start in safe mode, start normally etc. It won't boot to previous settings or into safe mode (gets part way then stops and tries rebooting) I ran the MESH recovery wizard and it says my windows is too corrupt and to contact MESH (yeah right). I tried the option to repair XP, and all I get is unable to find valid XP installation. (curiously, it seems to be trying to start XP professional, although I only have XP Media (not sure if that has anything to do with it)). I've now tried to use the MESH recovery disk, but I can't get it to run the CD.
Any ideas?

VoG II 19:26 06 Nov 2006

You need to set the BIOS to boot from the CD drive click here

rickd 20:09 06 Nov 2006

Cheers, Its now reinstalling windows (hopefully).I got a message saying the drive was damaged/wrongly formatted...

For future reference, can I set a separate partition/drive just for windows, so if I have to reinstall windows next time I don't wipe everything, including drivers, software etc? I have 2 hard drives. If so, how do I set things to always save such things to somewhere other than default to C? Does this slow down running things?

woodchip 20:20 06 Nov 2006

XP prof is as a result of SP2 going on the comp we all get that.

woodchip 20:21 06 Nov 2006

By drive Damaged it meens that the MBR is Corrupt or Bad sectors

woodchip 20:23 06 Nov 2006

I would say Master Boot Partition is corrupt, that's why you got wrongly formatted

rickd 21:50 06 Nov 2006

Up and running with a reinstalled windows, now a long night of reinstalling everything else - starting with 60+ MS updates...
again, could I install just windows (and maybe some core software on one HD, and everything else e.g most program files, games, music docs etc, on my second) - ive got loads of space

woodchip 22:19 06 Nov 2006

This is what you should do, now that you have done what you have done. Get Acronis True Image 9 from click here
£15 money well spent, Then as you load Software and try it make a Image before or after you find it's working ok then if you have problems just reload old image back to before the problem, this by far better than XP Restore.. As to your Programs, you would be better loading what will work on the second drive, although files are still loaded to the Operating system drive, as are all drivers, and programs write to the registry on the main C:\ Drive. Not all programs like to go on another drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?