can't run or remove redshift 5

cabledude 12:43 05 May 2007

Tried to install Redshift 5 from latest cover DVD.
On attempting to run I get the following:
"The application has not been installed properly. Please run the installation of the original Cd and relaunch this application. (engine component AIM ctrls v1.7.0.1 or higher required)" Dialogue box continues to appear when I try to reinstall.

When I try to uninstall I get the following RUNDLL dialogue box:
"Error loading c:\progra~1\common~1\profes~1\0701\intel32\ctor.dll the specified module could not be found"

HELP!!!!

johndrew 13:55 05 May 2007

Have you tried reinstalling it as the message asks? You don`t have to uninstall before you do this as installation over the top of the existing files should repair it.

cabledude 14:13 05 May 2007

Yes John, I have tried reinstalling over the top with the same result - can't run it, can't get rid of it!!!

RickyC :-) 14:27 05 May 2007

I think you may need to download and install the latest version of the AIMEngine. After installing this, and restarting your PC, attempt to uninstall Redshift again.

click here for the installation file (this is a 'Preview TinyURL' - click on 'Proceed to this site' to download the executable file).

According to their support site, the installer messages are in German but the AIMEngine itself is compatible with the English version of RedShift. It installed and worked dependably on their test computers. RedShift 5 uses the AIMEngine to show the Help Manual, the AstroDictionary and the PhotoGallery.

More support assistance available from the developers' webite - click here for details

regards

Richard
Cover Disc Editor

cabledude 16:01 05 May 2007

Many thanks for that Richard, thats half of it solved! The Aim engine download has worked and I can now run Redshift. Out of interest I then tried to uninstall, and the same RUNDLL dialog box appears - I remember having missing DLL issues in the dim and distant and being informed that there is no easy workaround, any ideas?

johndrew 16:44 05 May 2007

You could try the Windows Install Cleanup utility click here but I`m not certain how it would work in these circumstances.

I also noted in the Redshift Help file click here that item 5 gave some advice.

Failing that it may be a case of a manual uninstall and that would be beyond me.

Technotiger 17:10 05 May 2007

Hi, or you could run CCleaner click here and then in CCleaner's Tools run their Uninstaller to uninstall redshift.

cabledude 18:22 05 May 2007

Thanks to all, never thought of the help file, Doh!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone