Can't "repair" my pc, "lost" Admin password...

KorgY 15:13 21 May 2008

Hello,

I can't get into windows XP, as I get a prompt called "windows could not start because the following file: windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is corrup, please reinstall the above file.

Well, I put my XP Proffesional CD in, but when I go to the "repair" process it asks me for a ADMINISTRAOR password. Well, as far as I know, I didn't enter a password on set up, so i can't really find a pass that doesn't exist can I?.

After this, I have to reboot, and same happens again. Don't want to do a format, I'd jusyt like to repair my pc, and maybe get the file(s) back.

Can anyone help me please?

KorgY

PO79 15:15 21 May 2008

have tou tried just pressing enter at the password prompt?

mfletch 15:21 21 May 2008

Start the computer in safe mode they may be a admin account there that has no pass word {default}

Then use the XP disc or try a system restore

SAFE MODE

Reboot into SAFE MODE

1/Click Start and then click Turn Off Computer.
2/In the Turn Off Windows dialog box, click Restart, and then click OK.
3/As your computer restarts but before Windows launches, press F8 repeatedly.
4/Use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
5/If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access using the arrow keys, and then press ENTER.
Note: If Windows launches before you can choose a safe mode, restart your computer and try again
PS/ Sometimes it maybe the F5 key

KorgY 15:25 21 May 2008

Thanks Mfletch, i;ll try the above and will get back to you. As for "press enter" well that just reboots my pc.

Thanks

KorgY

anchor 15:28 21 May 2008

Very strange about the password request; but these links give some useful info:

click here

click here

KorgY 15:48 21 May 2008

Can't get to safe mode Mfletch, Only as far as the "corrupt file" promp.(i have several choices though, Safe mode, safe mode with networking safe mode and others, with command prompt, Enable boot logging, enable VGA mode, Last known configuration that worked,etc ...but all take me to reboot

Thanks Anchor, will have a look at that too

Thakns

KorgY

KorgY 16:40 21 May 2008

I'm installing Windows XP now on another partition etc, is there anyway i could sort something out from a fresh install (with nothing on) and the one that won't boot up?, maybe I can copy some files over from my fresh install to the "old" one, (from Drive "C" [new] to drice "E" [old]. any suggestions?.

Thanks.

KorgY

woodchip 16:50 21 May 2008

Try you Login name as Admin

KorgY 18:35 21 May 2008

Typed Admin, no luck

Since I last posted, I set up another windows on my hard drive, and when I get to the login screen, it asks me for a password, but haven'r created one. So seem to be gettin worse here:(

Thanks

KorgY

woodchip 18:39 21 May 2008

Have you tried your Login Name?

KorgY 18:40 21 May 2008

Yes, I have

Thanks

KorgY

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017