can't remove programs from startup

eego 11:35 22 Feb 2006

everytime I try to remove a program from my startup file under the general tab it reverts to it reverts to "Selective startup". Places the removed items to bottom of the list but re-activates them above.
Can anyone please offer some advice as I am trying to prevent a couple of items from running that remain from previously uninstalled programs.

Diodorus Siculus 11:44 22 Feb 2006

Selective startup is what you want; untick them under startup tab and reboot.

Diodorus Siculus 11:45 22 Feb 2006

How to use MSCONFIG: NetSquirrel.com
click here

eego 12:08 22 Feb 2006

Thanks for your prompt replies. I have already tried the recommended path, what appears to be happening is that when I indicated a restart "explorer.exe" is not responding. So this may be causing a problem???

Damn Machine 12:15 22 Feb 2006

click here
go to "Mode" then "Advanced View"
"Tools" will give you a "Startup" icon and that gives you the option of deleting the entries. MS Defender and CCleaner have similar options.

Diodorus Siculus 12:16 22 Feb 2006

Don't disable "explorer.exe".

Do you have yyour OS CD? If so: click here
scannow sfc how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in

ventanas 12:22 22 Feb 2006

A couple of things that may help click here and click here

eego 16:14 22 Feb 2006

Back again. Have tried SKY-bot. CC Cleaner, MS config cleanup and they all seem to be working but without any impact on the config startup. The only constant that I see is when I try to restart I continue to get "End of program - explorer.exe" error. I should now try a system repair using the MESH recovery CD, however as my system is otherwise working OK, I may leave it for a while longer. I will leave the thread open for a short while in case anyone can come up with somehting else, however at the moment thanks to everyone for their contributions.

Damn Machine 18:11 22 Feb 2006

Just to get this clear, you used Spybot to delete startup entries and they reinstalled themselves? Is that correct?

If so what are these entries?

curlylad 19:06 22 Feb 2006

Me thinks there may be more to this so just to be sure run a HJT log and if it is dodgy then we can direct you to the mal ware removal site to post it and let an expert look at it for you !

eego 10:46 23 Feb 2006

Godd morning "Damn machine" sorry about the delay just logged on.
In answere to your question "Yes" entries that I have tried to remove using Spybot have shown with their boxes unticked, but reinstalled again at restart.
There are largely but not inclusively items left behind from programs that have already been uninstalled eg:
TkBell.exe
SIEPulse.exe old browser
carpserve.exe old symantec
qttask.exe
SNDmon.exe old symantec

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017