can't receive emails on broadband connection

palinka 18:54 20 Jun 2005

My friend has just changed from a dial up connection with Tiscali to broadband with Talk Talk. He finds that tho he can send emails through talktalk he can't receive - anything sent to him bounces back to the sender (this is what I received when I tried to email him: - "550 Unknown user (in reply to RCPT TO command)")

I've talked him through a comparison with his set-up and mine (my bb supplier is Pipex) and I can't recognise anything as being obviousdly wrong.

What are we missing? Can anyone suggest a solution, please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:06 20 Jun 2005

Check SMTP settings

check firewall settings

CLONNEN 19:31 20 Jun 2005

Your SMTP settings should be the same as the internet connection you are using to connect to the internet. eg. If you are using Virgin Broadband ALL your email accounts should be set to smtp.virgin.net otherwise none of your emails will go anywhere.

Incoming email settings such as POP3 and Usernames and Passwords remain the same as originally set.

palinka 19:51 20 Jun 2005

thank you both - he's out tonight but I'll pass on your suggestions tomorrow and see how he gets on.

palinka 18:14 21 Jun 2005

problem solved - nothing dificult ; just that he hadn't entered his user name properly, o though he could send (and I still don't understand why that should be the case) he couldn't receive because he didn't exist!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?