Can't reanme, move or delete file

SheilaB 18:38 02 Oct 2004

I have a file parked on my desktop that I want to rename, delete or move but when I try to do either I get an error message saying
"Cannot delete file - cannot read from the source file or disk"

Any ideas on how to get rid of this file? I don't recognise the icon either ....

Jeffers22 18:42 02 Oct 2004

It would be a help if you supplied both the name of the file (is it a shortcut - where does it point if you rght click it and select properties) and your OS.

rawprawn 18:54 02 Oct 2004

Start your computer in safe mode, (Tap F8 when booting) then delete it. However as Jeffers22 points out we really need more information. A lot depends on what the file is.

wee eddie 22:09 02 Oct 2004

It might be worth copying the name and asking Google what it is.

Try Ctrl > Alt > Del and see if it is listed as running, if it is close it down.

THE TERMINATOR 01:17 03 Oct 2004

This is probably a shortcut to a program on a cd-rom. If this is the case you will only be able to delete etc when you hace the disk in the relevant drive....TT

Djohn 01:23 03 Oct 2004

It may also be a shortcut to a file that is now in your recycle bin and cannot be deleted until it has been restored to it's original location.

SheilaB 18:00 03 Oct 2004

Thanks for the comments to date - I'll work through them, and sorry for the lack of info originally ....

I'm running on Windows XP professional.

The file was one I downloaded from the Princess Cruises web site (think it was a picture file originally - probably .gif or .jpg )and I think the problem has arisen because I renamed it "Princess Cruises" but didn't give it a file extension ...

Sheila

iambeavis 19:29 03 Oct 2004

If you haven't already done so give the file an extension

wee eddie 20:25 03 Oct 2004

Right Click > Properties.

This may give you some inkling of where it came from > date created > by whom > and other snippets.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires