Can't play music CD's on media player 9

Newuser2 22:19 24 Jan 2003

I've downloaded media player 9 but try as I may I can't get any music CD's to play.
I've tried them in both my DVD drive & my HP rewriter but I get a message that media player can't play that particular file.
Anyone got any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong.
I'm running Me on a 500 P111.

obbit 22:46 24 Jan 2003

hi newuser2........does it happen with every cd?......try playing while on line. and let media player access internet. just a guess but something about codecs. or uninstall media player and reinstall from microsoft

click here

regards

obbit

duplo 22:52 24 Jan 2003

Nothing productive to say that I that in XP win media 9 is a pain... it wont maximise properly for a start...

Seems fine in 2k.

Why oh Why cant MS get it right?

BRYNIT 22:55 24 Jan 2003

Have you got the correct Media player for you O/S.

cheerful chippy 22:58 24 Jan 2003

I updated to Media Player 9, but found my mpeg 2 home videos would no longer play full screen (visualisations did though). I went back to version 8 which works fine.

Philip2 23:05 24 Jan 2003

If you have two buttons bottom right of the Media Player and when clicked on it can change the Media Player colour you have downloaded the wrong version you can not change Media Player colour on the Windows ME version.

Newuser2 23:06 24 Jan 2003

Thanks for your replies.
I downloaded MP9 from the windows Me update site so it should be the correct version.
It won't play any music Cd.
I've discovered some plugins to download but I'm not sure which ones or if I should even bother.
May just stick to the HiFi.
As for MS getting it right well not in my life time me thinks.

sauzee 08:02 25 Jan 2003

Is this purely a WMP9 problem? Can you play CD's with another media player?

Newuser2 15:37 25 Jan 2003

Hi sauzee....... I have not got another media player, I used to have realplayer but got fed up with the constant updates asking for money etc.(well you know what I mean)

canard 17:20 25 Jan 2003

real player- preferences -will give you a clutch of tabs. If you go through these and uncheck all the tiresome want to talk to big bro options realplayer is no trouble at all.

Newuser2 11:36 26 Jan 2003

I've reinstalled realplayer, but it will not play audio CD's it did before.
I get a message saying insert audio cd in drive when a cd is already in the drive.
I've gone thru all the boxes and checked that the ticks are in the correct boxes in both mp9 and realplayer and I've checked the drive properties in device manager etc.
But something is obviously missing but what.
Since downloading mp9 I've noticed that some picture formats have changed.
I think I'll dump mp9 and stick to the hifi.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?