Cant play DVD in Windows media player

ciderloutdave 19:09 24 Jan 2005

Hello all.

I am new to this site and also not very computer literate.

I tried playing a DVD earlier in WMP but it says:

Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer.

What does this mean and how can i fix it??

I think i am using WMP v10. The layout has a silver background with different options accross the top.

I thankyou in advance for your help.

Technotiger 19:38 24 Jan 2005

Hi, You need dvd decoder software - this link will take you to a Free Download site

click here

Cheers.

2neat 20:20 24 Jan 2005

^^

GaT7 00:26 25 Jan 2005

As Technotiger rightly mentions, in order to play DVDs in WMP one needs (third-party) DVD decoder software (click here), like these for example:
click here or click here (US$15 = GB£8 approx).

I'm not too sure about Cliprex's credentials. All their software seem to be riddled with ad/spyware click here, click here & click here. I would stay WELL away.

For some more freeware players: click here. Unfortunately all have some sort of ad/spyware except Media Player Classic click here, which is Open Source (see one person's review in the above MPC link).

Another inexpensive (& recommended) option would be to get PowerDVD/WinDVD software (which IMHO are better than WMP) from Ebay: click here. Choose PowerDVD over WinDVD as it is generally better. G

ciderloutdave 08:29 25 Jan 2005

ouch read all of that about cliprex. I dont know much but i think ill stay away from that 1.

Is media Player Classic worth downloading Crossbow7?? What does open source mean??

Thanks

Zaphod Beeblebrox 08:40 25 Jan 2005

did you not get any software bundled with the dvd drive?

rawprawn 09:47 25 Jan 2005

What version have you got? I had a WMP that wouldn't play DVD's, but when I downloaded the latest WMP 10 the problem solved itself.

rawprawn 09:48 25 Jan 2005

Sorry you said Version 10, just ignore me.

Stuartli 10:25 25 Jan 2005

Also ensure that DVD is Enabled in WMP's File Types (Tools>Options>File Types).

ciderloutdave 18:05 25 Jan 2005

i tried to downlaod version 10 and it said that an error had occured, log off and log on as an adminastrator to complete the download and settings.

However i am the only logged user of the PC.

What it did download is what i have now which i presumed to be 10 but it maybe 9.

The drive is the original cd/dvd rom drive that came with the PC. 4 years old.

I used to be able to play DVD's but ive not long had a new HD cuz mine failed so ive just got what i installed off the XP disk.

Stuartli - how do i check that?? I dont have any tools option in my WMP?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone