can't play dvd with windows media player 11

djscissorhands 19:30 05 Aug 2009

Hello, I can't play dvd's on my laptop running windows xp pro sp3 with windows media player 11. when I try to play the dvd it tells me that i do not have the proper codec. So I installed PowerDVD 7.0. Now I can play my dvds with PowerDVD 7.0 just fine but not in wmp. Every time I insert a dvd the PowerDVD program immediately opens. How can I play dvds with WMP?

my friends laptop running xp pro sp3 i just pop in the dvd and a menu comes up asking if I want to play with windows media player, power dvd, real player, quick time etc. so I choose wmp and the dvd plays just fine.

Please help me be able to play dvds on windows media player...

Lee.C 19:58 06 Aug 2009

Go to 'My Computer'
Right-click on your DVD drive.
Select 'Properties'.
Select 'Autoplay'.
Select 'DVD Movie' in the drop-down menu.
Select 'Prompt me each time to choose an action'.

djscissorhands 20:50 06 Aug 2009

Hello, I appreciate your reply.

I have followed the steps that you mentioned and I was able to select "Prompt me each time to chose an action" for DVD.

Now when I insert the dvd movie I get the pop up prompt to select which player I would like to use (WMP or PowerDVD.

However, when I select “WMP” the “WMP” program opens briefly and then closes and PowerDVD opens and begins to play the movie.

I don’t understand why my laptop is doing this as I have checked the settings on my friends laptop and we can select either WMP or PowerDVD and the DVD plays properly in both players.

Lee.C 10:16 07 Aug 2009

Hmmm strange one.. Two things worth trying...

I seem to recall that older versions of PowerDVD used to leave the codecs behind when the player was uninstalled. If that's still the case, that might solve the problem?

If it does remove the codec too, you could install the K-Lite codec pack from
click here

This includes a dvd codec and with no other DVD player installed, hopefully WMP will play ball now.

Wak 13:22 07 Aug 2009

I had problems playing DVDs on Windows Media Player and Real Player. I got the picture but no sound although the DVDs always played OK on VLC Media Player.
After downloading the XP-Codec-Pack-2.4.9.exe everything played fine in WMP and Real Player which proved that a suitable codec was missing.
Google for XP-Codec-Pack-2.4.9.exe, download and double click to install.

stellalxin 03:24 20 Aug 2009

Everytime I play the DVD, the software will shut down. I don't know why. When I open it in the DVD document fils. It can play. I think it is very strange.

hzhzhzhz 20:48 01 Sep 2009

Wak
Thanks for the XP Codec link. Just what I've been looking for. Now watching dvd's on WMP.

Cheers :-)

Nig.

Wak 09:56 02 Sep 2009

hzhzhzhz, Glad everything is OK now and pleased to have been of help to you.
Wak.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?