can't play burned dvd's on laptop

vally 11:24 29 Mar 2008

if I copy a dvd using my desktop pc I can play it on my pc and in my tv/dvd player but it wont play on my laptop
my laptop will play retail dvd's and copied music cd's, I have also installed xp codec and xvid but it's still not a happy lappy with copied dvd's
is there something missing?

Diodorus Siculus 11:33 29 Mar 2008

Try installing MediaPlayer classic; I find it plays most DVDs.

HAve you tried other brands of DVDs; some laptops can be quite tempermental.

vally 11:37 29 Mar 2008

will try the media player classic, maybe other media players too, thanks

vally 11:48 29 Mar 2008

aha, that didn't work either, it sppears that the laptop is not seeing the dvd so it won't play it no matter what media player is used, strange because these copied dvd's are working on other devices

Diodorus Siculus 12:48 29 Mar 2008

Do you have a different brand of blank DVD to use?

vally 12:51 29 Mar 2008

no not at the moment but could try and aquire one to try

eedcam 13:02 29 Mar 2008

Val Ive posted a reply on this in your other forum posting the fact it plays on a standalone player more than likely points to your laptop wont play the disc format either + or - or evemn Rw's please confirm what youare usong and what the laptop is set for

vally 13:16 29 Mar 2008

yeh been thinking along those lines meself, am trying to play dvd+r as that is what my desktop only records on, the web sites I have looked at suggest it will only record using dvd- spec but I would have thought it could read dvd+
it's a TEAC DW-224E in an IBM G40 thinkpad
my guess is it can only read dvd-

click here

eedcam 13:55 29 Mar 2008

I think you'll need to change the booktype so it sees it as dvd rom which is what commercial dvd's you dont need to alter any settings it should be ok by default. You wont be able to do anything with already recorded except burn them again / If you download and install Imgburn thats a free burner. Copy one of the unplayables and it should play in the laptop .My players are not +rs but they will read them this way. If that works then next copies you make burn with imgburn
click here

vally 14:04 29 Mar 2008

ok, not worried about those I have already done, just want to be able to play anything in future
are you saying if I use Imgburn then they will play in laptop
I usually use nero7 or dvd decrypter

eedcam 14:07 29 Mar 2008

Imgburn is the replacement for it without the code breaking. I cant say they will play only that they do for me .Its alot better to use than nero thats for sure

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone