Can't open window in IE

lilliebet 09:35 03 Dec 2003

Now I've rid myself of my little Trojan visitor, he seems to have left me a little problem. My browser works fine until I click on a link that would open a new window. Then the address bar goes blank and, of course, I go nowhere. Can I just redownload IE from Microsoft to replace this one or is this there something else I should be doing?

smegs 10:28 03 Dec 2003

click here Try this. It helped me.

lilliebet 11:12 03 Dec 2003

Thanks but that didn't work. How do I check the registry values in the instructions?

lilliebet 15:03 03 Dec 2003

Do I have to uninstall IE6 in order to successfully reinstall it? I've tried installing the latest Security Pack version but nothing's changed.

beeuuem 15:31 03 Dec 2003

If you go to Add/Remove programmes in control panel, select IE6 and go to remove it you will get the option to repair the installation.
May not work but is worth trying.

lilliebet 16:20 03 Dec 2003

I found that suggestion in a previous string but that did nothing either. I uninstalled and reinstalled IE6 but it's still the same. Methinks Dropper has damaged something on my PC that's causing this. Is this the end?

brittas 17:33 03 Dec 2003

do you have an earlier version of IE on a cover disk - if so, remove IE6 and put that version on -it may be that Dropper was aimed at IE6 users. It is clutching at straws but remember MSBlast.exe only attached later versions of windows.

smegs 18:06 03 Dec 2003

lilliebet. If the first bit didn't work, goto the second part. Goto Start button, click on RUN, Type in REGEDIT. When U have found the Right Folders to sort, U will need to click on the Strings on the RIGHT of the page. U will B able to change them that way.

lilliebet 18:22 03 Dec 2003

Smegs

Sorry I'm an absolute beginner, I don't even know how to find my way around the registry. I think
I'm a terminal case

brittas

I can revert back to version 4 but my kids are hooked on Messenger and couldn't survive without it. I would love to be able to meet the little sweetheart who caused this - maybe show them how to get a life!!

lilliebet 19:07 03 Dec 2003

OK - I found the registry values listed in Microsofts instructions - they all check out. The next suggestion MS gives is to reinstall but I've already done that without success.

I've only had this machine 3 weeks and all I've had are problems - not sure it's worth all this.

Thanks for trying anyway :-)

smegs 23:37 03 Dec 2003

Keep the KIDS OFF it!!! ;-)))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?