can't open renamed icons...

nick_j007 22:42 15 Aug 2003

I dragged and dropped some pictures to my desk top, then renamed them. I was given a warning that they may then be un-openable and decided to pursue it anyway. I have had this problem in the past, but they are nearly always un-openable afterwards. Can I solve this?

Thoughs on an email please...

As always a very inquizative Nick. Cheers

DieSse 22:51 15 Aug 2003

If you've changed the extension name (the (normally) 3 characters after the dot in the filename) - then the system will no longer know what program to use to open them.

If, sa you original name was aaaaaa.jpg, and you want to change the name to bbbb - then you MUST put bbbb.jpg

It's the (for instance) jpg bit that tells the system what program to use.

sil_ver 22:51 15 Aug 2003

If you know the application you dragged them from try right clicking on the pic icon, click on 'open with' and find the application to use or try a paint program. By renaming them you probably lost the association.

DieSse 22:53 15 Aug 2003

We conduct our thoughts here on the forum, not via emails, except in special circumstances.

nick_j007 23:11 15 Aug 2003

DieSse. You got it in one. I added a .jpg to the end of my new name and hey bloomin' presto it opens fine now!
It's the basics sometimes that leave me scrambling and confused.
I have never done anything other than learn on my own and by my own mistakes. Thankfully, I find most PC issues solveable by my own messing around.

BTW, When I said "Thoughts on an email please" it was meant in the same vein as "Thoughts on a post-card please" I appreciate though as always the gentle approach of my fellow 'computers'.
My over chatty way does seem to complicate my questions I know, and what you see is (believe me) heavily edited!

Thank you all very much for once again a satisfactory conclusion!

Goodness! I owe a few beers at this rate.

Name and adddress withheld ;-)

DieSse 23:15 15 Aug 2003

You're welcome - glad it worked out.

nick_j007 23:17 15 Aug 2003

Thanks again.

User-312386 01:23 16 Aug 2003

to stop yourself changing the extension so this

Open "My Documents", now select tools>folder options>view tab

Now look down the list and click on "Hide extensions for known file types"

Now click on apply and then ok

nick_j007 23:14 17 Aug 2003

Have just done that and many thanks, it works a treat.

Nick Jones

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?