Can't open PowerPoint files easily

rts2 12:59 12 Mar 2003

I am running MS Office 2000 and am having a problem opening existing PowerPoint files.

If I explore "My Computer" and highlight a PowerPoint presentation I wish to open, I get the following error message:-

"is not a valid Win32 application"

The only way I can open the presentation is to launch PowerPoint and then search for the file from within the program.

Any suggestions most welcome

Andsome 13:02 12 Mar 2003

If I want to save a Power Point presentation to look at later, I always click File/Save as, than save to my documents after giving it a name. This way you just open My Documents and double click the presentation, it will then open.

Lozzy 13:05 12 Mar 2003

Have you moved the file from its original folder where you first saved it or re named it?? Thats when you normally get this error msg.. Once you have opened the file through the program and re saved it, do you still get this error msg when re opening it via My computer/My documents? If yes then carry out the repair function from within MS Office..

rts2 17:56 12 Mar 2003

Many thanks to Andsome and Lozzy for their prompt and helpful responses.

Since my PowerPoint files are correctly saved and I was having trouble accessing previously saved files, I took your suggestion and ran the "Repair" function in MS Office.

This has helped part of the way. I still get the error message if I double click on a PowerPoint presentation in order to open it - but if I right-click on its name it gives me two options for opening the file:-

"Microsoft PowerPoint"

"Microsoft PowerPoint for Windows"

The first one returns the same error message as before, but the full title works OK - so I can at least open presentations without opening the program and searching the for the files that way

So...thanks again for the help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?