Can't open messages on hotmail

danielgent 16:50 30 Jul 2010

Been trying to fix someones laptop today and its a problem that it seems has happened to a few other people as well. Just seeing if anyone on these forums has any ideas.

On this lady's laptop, when you go on hotmail.com, it logs in fine, but then clicking on any messages or folders (e.g. junk) does nothing (both firefox and IE). In IE at the bottom left of the screen there is a warning about Java errors on the page. In Firefox no errors. Its an Acer Aspire laptop with Vista on (factory installed)

What I've done and tested
- in Firefox and IE the same problem happens
- tried IE with addons disabled
- reset IE to factory setings
- used OpenDNS
- installed latest version of Java off their website.
- cleared internet history in IE, deleted all cookies
- scanned for malware with Spybot and AVG. Found nothing

This laptop is connecting through a TMobile 3G dongle. I will scan it with more antivirus software but I don't think its malware.

THE ONLY TIME I GOT HOTMAIL WORKING is by going in IE onto the hotmail inbox, then clearing out IE's history and cookies. Then hotmail works fine for that session. THERE IS NO JAVA ERROR MESSAGE. On loading IE again, the java error is back and hotmail doesn't work again.

Does anyone have any experience of this problem? Other solutions I've seen involve so much uninstalling and reinstalling that I think my next step is to format and reinstall Vista. Least I'll know whats on the laptop then. Apparently it started happening when hotmail changed to a new layout. Some dodgy javascript somewhere?

Thanks for reading this, all your help is so appreciated!

Dan Gent

rdave13 18:16 30 Jul 2010

As hotmail is now part of Windows Live Essentials, have a look in Programs & Features, via control panel, and select WLE if in the list. Select uninstall/change tab then select repair in the window that opens.

danielgent 19:03 30 Jul 2010

Hi Rdave13,

The laptop user has only been accessing hotmail through her browser (in this case firefox). I have setup hotmail through windows live mail on a Windows7 laptop. Was really easy, no need to enter IMAP details or anything like that and completely synchronised with hotmail's webmail.

However, when I had a quick look at WindowsLiveMail on this Vista laptop, there was no function to add a hotmail account easily like on Windows 7. Thats why I've stuck to troubleshooting Hotmail's webmail interface.

thanks for the reply,
Dan Gent

rdave13 19:12 30 Jul 2010

I understand. If you want to use Hotmail as a web mail only may I suggest using Windows Live Messenger. This again means you should download and install it via Windows Live Essentials. If only to troubleshoot problems.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone