cant open extracted files

pollpott 18:52 26 Jun 2010

I am a victim of the HP system restore fiasco. I followed the instructions to backup my files using the backup "wizzard" (joke) so that i could then restore my desktop to factory setting. Problem is when i try to restore the saved files i get the message Runtime error progG/:minwinpc/.....etc which having googled it i find it is an incredibly common problem. I have used ertools emergency recovery tool which seems to have extracted the files but i cant seem to open them, mostly word docs. some things seem to be there such as Adobe and a little word stuff which was obviously part of instructions from commercial progs. but i have important work stuff which i really need. Any suggestions?

howard64 17:22 29 Jun 2010

You could use easus data recovery to look at the hard drive and see what it can recover. It is a free download to see if it can recover anything if it can then it asks you to buy it to recover. A lot of places offered this as a free prog and you might find one around but worth using just to see if it can see your files. If they can be seen and reovered they open in their original progs.

woodchip 17:27 29 Jun 2010

Why not just go back using Windows Restore tool. I have HP Laptop and do not use the Updates software

woodchip 17:28 29 Jun 2010

Why not just go back using Windows Restore tool. I have HP Laptop and do not use the HP Updates software

pollpott 16:59 30 Jun 2010

I cannot use restore point cos the computer is back to factory settings and so the earliest point now is the date it was done ie. 24th jun, is that what you meant?

sherwoodsolns 22:16 30 Jun 2010

Call a pc technician before playing with "fixes" - he would advise a repair install of the
operating system which preserves file and program settings without "recovering" back to factory install conditions - that wipes your data from the disk. If you can get hold of a recovery disk for your operating system (from the internet) a repair install can be done before resorting to HP recovery disks, which you say - don't work as they should when you come to need them!

pollpott 19:06 08 Jul 2010

It looks as though the hard drive is kaput and I've got a technician looking at rstoring the files. thanks for the help, sorry about the delay in replying, I've been ill.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?