Can't open EML files in Outlook Express 6

night 17:35 10 Feb 2007

Having checked in Microsoft OLEXP: Article ID 312355, and followed all instructions under file types ther is no EML Outlook Express Mail Message in the list so I can't so Icant edit it, and I see it refers to Outlook 5.5 not Outlook 6 which I have can anyone advise me on this one?

QuickHare 01:28 11 Feb 2007

You're nearly there.

In Windows, if there are no file types listed under either EML or Outlook Express Mail Message, then you'll have to create it. This isn't as daunting as it sounds.

To do this, go to the File Types tab as mentioned in the article you looked at. When the list loads, click the Add button to add a new type. In the box that appears, type EML and click Ok.

Your new entry appears in the Registered File Types list, but is not yet finished. Find it in the the list (it's alphabetical by extension) and click Advanced.

You can give it a suitable icon by using Change Icon, then click New to give it an action to perform when you open it as an attachment.

Under Action, type "Open", then under Application Used To Perform Action, type what appears in step 6 of the article you were reading, which states the line

"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\MSIMN.EXE" /eml:%1

Please note, you may need to alter the path name if Outlook Express is installed elsewhere.

Keep clicking on Ok until you get back to the main folder window again, and you'll find everything is well again.

Though for safety, restart your computer or at least log out and back in to give Windows the chance to save what you just did.

QuickHare 01:31 11 Feb 2007

Quick note:

When I say you can change the icon by clicking Change Icon, you'll need to click the button and choose a suitable image. The file C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\MSIMN.EXE should contain standard ones for emails.

After you've done that and clicked Ok, then you can continue with clicking New as my instructions state...

night 08:34 11 Feb 2007

Many thanks Quickhare, for your full explanation and I am happy to say I am now able to open my eml files thanks to you, nice to know someone out there is on the ball I thank you very much.

QuickHare 23:52 13 Feb 2007

Thanks for that great feedback. It's a nice feeling when you can go somewhere safe and ask a question for free rather then sitting on the end of a phone line listening to the same song repeatedly....

Happy emailing, and if you have any more trouble, just pop by again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone