Cant open Disk Management

roy 19:33 25 Jan 2011

I have just found that I can't open Disk Management. Error message says: Disk Management could not start Virtual Disk Service (VDS) on ROY-PC. Remedy suggests Firewall but recommended achieves nothing. It talks of Remote computer as well which is curious as I am just using a desktop and there is no 'remote comp' Unfortunately, Restore has also not been working for some time: says The Volume Shadow Copy service used by Restore is not working. Perhaps it is time to consider a repair of Windows (Vista32) Roy

northumbria61 19:42 25 Jan 2011

Go to Start - Run - type "services.msc" (without quotes) scroll down to find Volume Shadow Copy - if not running click on "Start the Service"

roy 22:19 25 Jan 2011

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately the option tto either start or restart Volume Shadow Copy is greyed out. (It is disabled at pres). Roy

roy 22:26 25 Jan 2011

Have just had a look at VSC properties and it says Startup type Disabled. There are options including Automatic. Should I alter this? Roy

robin_x 22:38 25 Jan 2011

Yes. Right Click/Properties. Change manual to automatic.

Quit, right click 'Start'

Check it keeps running every now and again during your testing and after any reboots.

robin_x 22:39 25 Jan 2011

Typo: Change disbaled to auto, sorry

roy 23:42 25 Jan 2011

Well Fellas, I have tried that, done a restart, checked that VSC was now 'Started' but am still getting 'Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service' Anything further?
Roy

robin_x 01:08 26 Jan 2011

Dunno. I have been pulling my bloody hair out with printing problems tonight.

From laptop to desktop/printer upstairs.

Turns out even though my laptop print spooler is auto and started on reboot. It needs a restart for some reason. Will track that down tomorrow.

So try stop/start/restart for your VSS. Even though it says it is running.

Beyond that my expertise is zilch sorry.

lotvic 12:57 26 Jan 2011

click here
"Disk Management cannot start the Virtual Disk Service.

Cause: If a remote computer does not support the Virtual Disk Service (VDS) or if a connection to the remote computer cannot be established because it is blocked by Windows Firewall, you may receive this error.

Solution: If the remote computer supports VDS, you can configure Windows Firewall to allow VDS connections. If the remote computer does not support VDS, you can use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to it and then run Disk Management directly on the remote computer.

To manage disks on remote computers that do support VDS, you must configure the Windows Firewall on both the local computer (where you are running Disk Management) and the remote computer.
On the local computer, configure Windows Firewall to enable the Remote Volume Exception."

I suggest you rightclick My Computer > Properties > and take the tick OUT of 'Remote Desktop' (Allow user to connect remotely to this computer) click on Apply and OK so that there is no remote computer.

lotvic 13:11 26 Jan 2011

And UNtick Remote Assistance :)

roy 13:36 26 Jan 2011

My concern has been with the Disk Management however I found today that what you suggested lat night had got my System Restore working again so a big thank you for that. However and also in spite of trying lotvic's suggestion I still can't open Disk Management.
lotvic, I had found the explanation you posted but I do not understand the reference to a Remote Computer. I am afraid that unticking Remote assistance has not cured it.
Roy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone